Old 12-17-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default ok I'm stumped. Pump out hose....

I'm replacing the sanitation hoses on my 99 4600 maxum and I thought I could take out the 3 screws on the deck fitting (waste pump out) and just pull up the hose, unscrew the hose clamp and continue with the job.

BUT

When I unscrewed the deck fitting for this hose there is no way I can pull anything up because the hole isn't big enough for the clamp. Somehow the clamp has to be removed. I have no idea where to access this. Its sort of behind the couch and under the window. I've search everywhere to get a view of it & no luck.

Hoping someone here can help

sandiegoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I think i remember seeing mine when I took the sofa out, there are 4 bolts or so which you can access from the storage area in the seat base which hold the seat backs on.

I think the hose ran down from the deck pump out and along behind the sofa and then into the holding tank via the engine bay and through the bulkhead behind the calorifier.

You can always trace it back from the holding tank.

Good luck!

iantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
TJK
Lt. JG

Do you really have to replace it? If you are concerned about permeated odor from hoses, that particular hose goes up to the deck fitting thru the engine room and most of the portion near the STB engine is normally kept dry. Besides, the engine room is well ventilated unlike the tank/utility room. I would replace all the hoses in the tank/utility room first, then wait and see.
TJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Lieutenant

the way the tank was made(if the tank has more than 3 inches of waste) the hoses are also exposed to waste since the hoses are at the bottom of the tank. Pump out hose and macerator hose both are attached at the bottom. I wanted to replace both.

So I got to the one behind the couch, what a nightmare, I couldn't pull the hose thru. It wouldn't budge because of too many curves I guess. So instead I went back to the holding tank and replaced about 20 inches of the hose (the bad part) and used a coupling. Working on the other hoses.

My tank had a leak at the top (the access lid) which I fixed but the wood above it was permeated so I have to replace that. I removed it already.

I did notice that my anchor locker doesn't smell great and it isn't 100% enclosed. The smell can go right into the boat so I'm taking care of that today.....somehow. I believe that is where a good part of the smell comes from.
The boat doesn't smell horrible unless totally closed up for days.

Replacing head hoses looks fun! but couldnt be any worse than the pump out hose
Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

If I recall in the 90's they were still using that black sanitation line. It becomes somewhat 'permeable' with age. If the head is electric or manual pump then it is drawing raw water. If you're in the ocean, that is saltwater, which will scale over time.

IMHO, this scaling, lack of maintenance and time is the TRUE #1 cause of clogged marine sanitation systems.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Lieutenant

it's all white hose. I'm putting in trident 102. The line coming from the toilet is an offwhite so I imagine someone changed the hoses everywhere except the toilet ones. I have the vacuflush which is fresh water. I think a smell is coming from a few sources. I guess all I can do is replace one thing at a time and hopefully it resolves it. The boat smells better than it has since I got it so it's working so far.

The holding tank access lid wasn't 100% sealed so that was a big issue. I am replacing the wood on top because it smells but I'm worried the wood under the tank is also part of the problem and if so that's a huge project I won't force myself to endure.

I'm considering a small exhaust fan somewhere with a switch and solar power so it just runs constantly. I think that would really help.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Try dumping some white vinegar into toilet and let it stew for a little while. this will actually help clean the valves and so forth
Old 12-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Lieutenant

I will do that! thanks

I'm going to attempt to lift the holding tank up about 4 inches and see how bad the wood under it is. Maybe I can scrub, bleach, clean, even repaint if needed. It's all getting better. I actually slept in it with everything closed up and I wasn't bothered. But there is still a faint smell now and then. If I open the velcro door that leads into the utility room then I get a somewhat bad odor so it's still there. There's no ventilation!

I'm looking into the medicine cabinet in the master head which I think is the ideal spot to cut and put a solar exhaust fan. Then run a hose straight down into the utility room. I've seen another maxum do this same thing but i have to cut a 3inch hole in the fiberglass so it's a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt214 View Post
Try dumping some white vinegar into toilet and let it stew for a little while. this will actually help clean the valves and so forth
Old 12-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
TJK
Lt. JG

[QUOTE=sandiegoguy;46530]So instead I went back to the holding tank and replaced about 20 inches of the hose (the bad part) and used a coupling. Working on the other hoses.

Yeah, that's what I would do for now, and wait and see. Again, the engine room is well ventilated especially when those big diesels are running. They suck so much air from the intakes.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
TJK
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy View Post
Maybe I can scrub, bleach, clean, even repaint if needed. It's all getting better. I actually slept in it with everything closed up and I wasn't bothered. But there is still a faint smell now and then. If I open the velcro door that leads into the utility room then I get a somewhat bad odor so it's still there. There's no ventilation!

I'm looking into the medicine cabinet in the master head which I think is the ideal spot to cut and put a solar exhaust fan. Then run a hose straight down into the utility room. I've seen another maxum do this same thing but i have to cut a 3inch hole in the fiberglass so it's a last resort.
Unlike many other recreational boats of similar types, the Maxum’s naval architect placed all tankage; fresh water tank, water heater, holding tank and vacu flush tanks/assemblies, in the forward/mid section of the hull to give the boat good weight and balance. Great design for excellent seaworthiness and fuel economy. But the problem is, unlike the engine room, the “utility room” is a confined space and has very poor or nil ventilation. And yes, it does get worse when that space gets warm/hot in the summer.

Mine is “manageable", but most of the hoses in my boat were replaced with newer ones by the previous owner. Also, I always try to pump out the holding tank whenever I have a chance, as often as I can, especially in the summer season. Sorry, you have the boat in San Diego.... that wouldn't help