Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default newbie 4600 scb

Just put a deposit on a 97 4600 SCB with 370s and wanted to find others with this boat or similar to give me the pros and cons, scheduling a survey, in the next 2 weeks.. thanks for any and ALL Comments.. Thank you

fatee2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
Ensign

I have a 98 4600 SCB with 370s which I purchased approx. 6 months ago and have put about 70 hours on it with nothing to speak of as far as problems. The right Surveyor is where my money would be. How the interior & exterior of there boat had been cared for should also give one a good reference on how the engines were cared for.

Craig Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Wood View Post
I have a 98 4600 SCB with 370s which I purchased approx. 6 months ago and have put about 70 hours on it with nothing to speak of as far as problems. The right Surveyor is where my money would be. How the interior & exterior of there boat had been cared for should also give one a good reference on how the engines were cared for.
Well that is great news.. Where do you boat at.? What cruising speed and Rpm are you at .. I heard they get up on plane pretty good even with the 370s.. We have our survey, sea trial and haul out on Monday. so will definitely no more after that.. thanks for the info
fatee2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #4
TJK
Lt. JG

I bought mine last year after a few years of extensive research. I truly believe 4600 SCB is one of the best “Sedan Bridge” boats in that era (later 90’s to early 2000s). I choose this boat over Sea Ray 40/42/44 DB, 480 DB, Silverton 43 SB, Viking Sport Cruiser/Princess 42/43 and Fairline Phantom 43. As we all know the brand is gone, but Maxum boats in general use all common parts with Sea Ray and Bayliner lines so there is no issue with that. Better yet, I believe since the brand is gone, you can get a great deal in the used boat market. Maxum generally speaking, are well built boats, and I believe that statement is particularly true to their yacht division (37ft to 46ft).

I have done a sea trial on one with Cummins 370B engines, and although there were only 3 people with half fuel on board, the boat performed fine. She cruised at around 16 knots and she was nicely on plane.

Some of the members here had water (rain water) leak/intrusion issues from the bow rail stanchion base/deck fittings. Luckily I haven’t had any of those issues. You might want to keep your eyes on as I do in rainy days since the water appears to intrude into the cabin/floor carpet.

Other than normal wear and tear issues, overall, the boat is solidly built. She gives a good smooth ride and no pounding in choppy 4 to 5 ft seas. She is also a nice and quiet boat to run on cruise.

Good luck with your survey and purchase!
TJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

Leaking windows and stanchions are present on all boats....eventually. This is not exclusive to any one brand.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote