Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Newbie 3200 SCR Questions (waste and water system)

This is my first bigger sized boat and never had one with a full bathroom and water system. Previous owner had everything done by the marina. It was winterized when we bought it. After some spring maintance the marina put it in the water about a month ago. Now id assume the waste would have been pumped out in the winterization process, but what about the water system? Do both these systems need to be pumped out? I am pretty sure the marina didnt fill up the water system when the put the boat in the water as when I turn the water pump nothing comes out of the faucet.

My question is do I need to get the water system pumped out like the waste before I put fresh water in? How do I know when the system is full? The filler for the waste is on the starboard side and the water port? Any filters for the water system?

Sorry for the newb questions, I read the manual but It didnt tell me much about this.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDA View Post
This is my first bigger sized boat and never had one with a full bathroom and water system. Previous owner had everything done by the marina. It was winterized when we bought it. After some spring maintance the marina put it in the water about a month ago. Now id assume the waste would have been pumped out in the winterization process, but what about the water system? Do both these systems need to be pumped out? I am pretty sure the marina didnt fill up the water system when the put the boat in the water as when I turn the water pump nothing comes out of the faucet.

My question is do I need to get the water system pumped out like the waste before I put fresh water in? How do I know when the system is full? The filler for the waste is on the starboard side and the water port? Any filters for the water system?

Sorry for the newb questions, I read the manual but It didnt tell me much about this.

There isn't a pump out like the waste system.

The fresh water system tank is located under the sole. Access is from the step riser panel at the mid cabin, just pull the knob- it's only velcroed in place.
This is the only way to see how much water is left in the tank, there are no gauges.

On commissioning you should add a little bleach to the filler no more than a cup, then fill the tank with fresh water. Take the boat out and let it slosh around, then turn on the pump switch near the stove. Open up all faucets including the swim platform one and completely drain the tank. Repeat process again. Then fill and enjoy.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Commander

I have the 95 3200 scr, so not sure if there a difference or not. As far as I know, there is no gauge or meter to show how much water is left in the tank. The filler neck should be on the port side, right outside your windshield. My boat also came with dockside water inlet. Its on the transom above the swim platform on the starboard side. If you have one, you can use that when connected to dockside water. If you are using dockside water, the water pump switch, located in the galley next to the refrigerator isn't needed, the pressure from the dockside water is used. If you dont use or have the dockside water, you need to turn the water pump switch on, which will use water in your water tank. As Horizon said, he noted the location and access. As for the winter and spring process, this is what I do.
1) Turn on your water pump and let your galley faucet run until it stops. This will drain most of the water from your water tank.
2) Pour a few gallons of the pink stuff in the water filler. This will keep any water from freezing in your tank.
3) Now for your water lines. You can do one of two things.
4) If you have the dockside water inlet, and you have a compressor, by a fitting that will connect your compressor to the hose fitting. Set your compressor to no more than 40-50 psi. Then open each faucet, both cold and hot, one at a time. You may need to do this a few times. This will blow out your water lines and prevent them from freezing. If you have a hot water tank as well, mine is in the bilge, open the drain and drain that as well. Take your time draining the lines, patience here will save you a lot of time and money if you have to replace a broken line.
5) If you dont have a water inlet or compressor, then you will need a few more gallons of the pink stuff. Open each faucet, both hot/cold until pink stuff comes out. You should have the galley, head, cockpit sink, and transom shower, all to do.
6) In spring, do the same above (4) or (5) with now using water to get all the pink stuff out. As horizon said, use bleach to disinfect, or marine stores sell some water potable tablets to do something similar.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

Thanks Jamanti, though I think the OP is looking for instructions on how to do spring commissioning, not fall winterization.

1) Fill the water tank with water.
2) Turn on faucets and run it until it's emty (You REALLY want to be on shore power with battery charger ON for this).
3) Make sure you open ALL faucets, both hot and cold until all lines run clear.
4) Repeat until all lines run clear.

Sure, a little bleach isn't a bad idea.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote