Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Broken seat question

I have a year 2000 Maxum 3700 SCR. There is a U-shaped seating area in the aft cockpit above the engine compartment. There is a part of this U-shaped seat along the starboard side that allows you to pull out a couple boards under the seat for use to support 3 fill-in cushions. This allows the seating area to be used as a sun pad or an additional sleeping area. A person or two doing detail work on my boat was standing on the seat above the two pull-out boards. The seat was not mean to be used as a ladder by anybody and the seat collapsed. The seat is now sitting at a 30 degree angle and now prevents the two boards under the seat from being pulled out to use for the filler cushions. It seems that the seat has some sort of attachment to the boat at the back of the seat touching the fiberglass on the starboard side. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to reach any screws or bolts which I can access to try and put the seat back to its original position? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sailboattraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
Ensign

Default Broken seat question

We have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

katsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I ended up complaining to the owner of the detailing company and the owner of the company had a boat carpenter brought to my boat. The next time I saw my boat, the seat had been repaired. I have no idea what they did to fix it. Sorry I can’t add anything more to help you out.
Sailboattraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #4

They removed the upholstry from the seat (Staple puller), used the seat base as a template and made a new base out of plywood. Then re-installed the upholstery onto the new base and screwed the mounting hardware onto the new base as well. It's very easy to do.

Our folding legs kept ripping out. We did this and through bolted the mounting hardware before re-upholstering. It was stronger than ever before.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote