Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Question Bow Thruster on 3700

Does anyone have experience in fitting an after market bow thruster to a Maxum 3700. Year is 2000. It has been suggested that there is not enough room under the forward bed to fit a regular one and I have been advised to fit a Side-power.com EX55.

I hate the idea because the first time I hit a stick in the water it will knock it off. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Perihelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Perihelion!!

An object large enough to break that off would have done damage regardless of whether the external thruster was installed or not.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
Ensign

True Shrew, thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Lt. JG

It is probably the same as the 35'. I looked at putting an aftermarket thruster in but it all became too hard/expensive. It is possible to but a hole through the storage bin under the forward bed and this seems to be the only access. The standard supplied tunnel is about a meter long but because of the flared bow a two meter tunnel is required. To actually fit the thing there are two very large stringers to cut through as well as punching a couple of holes in the hull. The problem is the things are too well built. Have a brand new one still in the box if you want it..
Foxy 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks Foxy. I am giving up and going for the externally mounted one.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:59 AM   #6
Ensign

Sorry for the late reply. I have the sidepower external bow thruster and their stern thruster as well. Not a hard install at all. You'll have to cut an access panel under the v berth and put a dedicated AGM battery. There is a HUGE amount of unused space up front. In fact I'll be moving my house bank and inverter up there.
Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:08 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I have the sidepower external bow thruster and their stern thruster as well. Not a hard install at all. You'll have to cut an access panel under the v berth and put a dedicated AGM battery. There is a HUGE amount of unused space up front. In fact I'll be moving my house bank and inverter up there.
Yes. We have decided to use Side power. I was worried the it was very exposed and would get knocked off on the first twig we hit. But have been persuaded. Thanks for the input though.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perihelion View Post
Yes. We have decided to use Side power. I was worried the it was very exposed and would get knocked off on the first twig we hit. But have been persuaded. Thanks for the input though.
I hit a log that almost tore the rudder off. The thruster was fine.
It works great, and with wireless remote, it makes single handling easy. You won't regret it.

Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after market, bow thruster