Old 01-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Arch removal 2003 3500 SY

Hi everyone, first time poster here.
Looking at a 3500 SY and would need to truck it several thousand miles. I've got an estimate, however it looks like I will need to remove the arch to meet height requirements.

I have honestly never even seen a 3500 SY in person, so I have no idea what's involved in removing the arch on one of these. I've owned plenty of Bayliners, and have many years experience with all boats, so I'm guessing it's not a huge deal, but I want to verify. I'm spit balling here, but 4 hours labor to remove and package for shipment seems about right compared to other boats. Again, I have zero knowledge about these.

Thanks!

Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

i have a 35 foot scr got it from long island NY few people said to remove arch its only 13.1 on a low boy trailer best find a hauler with lower trailer. there gps shows heights of bridges also so there would be know damage of a bridge to LOW UHSIP.com they will gladly tell u the info. Long island has some low low bridges i removed my radar dome only ???

gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #3
Ensign

It will probably fit under the overpasses during transport without removing the arch, however anything over 14'6" requires a pilot car in both California and Washington, which adds to the cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

The arch should have an access panel on the inside near the base which will allow you to access the bolts on the top-side. You'll need to crawl underneath from either he mid-cabin or the engine compartment to reach the bolts on the under-side. This is a two person job. There should be 3 or 4 bolts on each side (left and right) to remove the arch. Make sure to support/suspend the arch before loosening and removing the bolts.

You'll more than likely need to pull electronics cables first. The wires for the lighting is more than likely wired tied inside of the arch and won't be able to be pulled. Cut the wires for the lights and install bullet connectors (of the correct amperage) so they can be re-connected on the other end. (DO NOT CUT RADAR AND VHF WIRES!!)
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks Shrew, that's the info I am looking for. When (if) I go down, I will look at just what it will take to get it off and stowed for transit.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Sounds like an awful amount of work to remove the arch. I know when mine came out to Australia the arch had to be bolted on and the wiring installed but I guess that's a shipping thing. For road transport here we get a low loader so clearance is no problem and I suggest you do the same. I imagine over there you would have a choice of dozens of boat transport operators.
Foxy 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Ensign

Good morning: I have a 2003 3500 SY with the same issue. I will be transporting it on a transport next month and in preparation for the move I did some exploratory research on how the arch was attached. I discovered that in the bilge there is one rather large bolt but in the arch itself there is 4 bolts which doesn't make much sense. If anyone has actually removed the arch I'd appreciate further clarification on its attachment and how you removed it. As a new owner and member I'd appreciate any advice other members might have.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Ensign

I'll be able to tell you with fair certainty next week when I take a serious look at it in person. From what I can see from drawings and pictures is that there are three bolts, accessible from above, behind the starboard panels where the speakers are mounted. Those bolts go into a plate with captured nuts. The wiring may, or may not be cable tied inside the arch. If it is, then it will be cut and reattached. The radar, gps, and radio wiring will need to be pulled and not cut.
If however, access is required from underneath, on the starboard side, it looks like removing the ice maker will give adequate access, and on the port side removing the cushion back along the gunnel should have some sort of access such as a deck plate. Not entirely sure, but it would seem logical.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Ensign

Here is a drawing. Not sure if it is accurate or not.
Attached Thumbnails
MaxumArch.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Ensign

Thanks for your input. On a previous crawl through the engine room I noted one bolt which extended through the bulkhead. As you noted there were 4 bolts in the arch cavity, one of which might be the one that appears in engine room. So, it probably makes sense that there's a plate of some sort that the arch attaches to.

I won't be working on the arch till the end of February so I would appreciate any further update once you begin work on yours. Again, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
I'll be able to tell you with fair certainty next week when I take a serious look at it in person. From what I can see from drawings and pictures is that there are three bolts, accessible from above, behind the starboard panels where the speakers are mounted. Those bolts go into a plate with captured nuts. The wiring may, or may not be cable tied inside the arch. If it is, then it will be cut and reattached. The radar, gps, and radio wiring will need to be pulled and not cut.
If however, access is required from underneath, on the starboard side, it looks like removing the ice maker will give adequate access, and on the port side removing the cushion back along the gunnel should have some sort of access such as a deck plate. Not entirely sure, but it would seem logical.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
Ensign

Default 3500 Arch Removal Updates

Stray Cat:

I'm just following up on your post and wondered how you made out with the removal.

Colin Caldwell
Up North
Old 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Stray Cat:

I'm just following up on your post and wondered how you made out with the removal.

Colin Caldwell
Up North
I took a cursory look, however the boat failed survey, so I did not look any further into it. I passed on the deal.
Since I wasn't purchasing it, I didn't want to pull off any panels to see what access would be like.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
I took a cursory look, however the boat failed survey, so I did not look any further into it. I passed on the deal.
Since I wasn't purchasing it, I didn't want to pull off any panels to see what access would be like.

Stray Cat:

Thanks for taking the time to let me know. I will be removing the arch at the end of the month and will find out by trial and error. Good luck in finding another boat. There seems to be quite a few listed on Boatrader for sale on the east coast all the way down to Florida. We looked at the 2001 in Jacksonville but preferred the 2003 we found near Marco Island.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
Lt. JG

You don't need to do it. I shipped a 3700 w/o taking off the Arch. Has to be a lowboy and take off the radar.
ViperRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Ensign

Default 3500 Arch Removal Updates

I've measured the height overall excluding the radar and I have 15'7" which is way over the allowable height for transport. The boat is being transported from Florida to Washington State and some states require 13'6" and others 14'6" so we are removing the arch. The boat gets picked up the end of this week and they are working on the arch as I speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperRy View Post
You don't need to do it. I shipped a 3700 w/o taking off the Arch. Has to be a lowboy and take off the radar.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I've measured the height overall excluding the radar and I have 15'7" which is way over the allowable height for transport. The boat is being transported from Florida to Washington State and some states require 13'6" and others 14'6" so we are removing the arch. The boat gets picked up the end of this week and they are working on the arch as I speak.
That's what I came up with as well. Good luck on your move. I'm in the north Puget Sound area and am up i BC often. I'm closing on a 2001 3500 SCR right now. Drop me a line after you get your's up here, maybe we can do a Maxum rendezvous!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #17
Ensign

Stray Cat:

We will be shipping to Seaview North in Bellingham and then sailing up the Fraser River, once the river rises enough, to our home on Harrison Lake in BC. I've asked the shipping marina to send me some pictures of the boat loaded and will post them here.

Up North
Old 03-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #18
Lt. JG

Stray Cat Just as a matter of interest what engines are in the 2001 Maxum?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #19
Ensign

Stray Cat:

Mine is a 2003 with the extended swim deck and it has MAG 350's I would have preferred the big block engines but it is what it is. The big blocks aren't that much bigger in HP but they have a lot more torque.

Up North
Old 03-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #20
Lt. JG

My 2001 has the 7.4's but that seems to have been the last of them the others I have seen and I don't think there are many 35's over here are 6.2's.