Old 08-23-2016, 04:15 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Anchor Seating on Maxum 3200 SCR

Hi, I have a 3200 SCR that I am restoring over time. I am looking at the anchor and anchor roller set up on the boat's integrated bow pulpit. I believe a Danforth anchor was standard equipment. The SS anchor roller is suited to the set up though the plastic roller is deteriorating and will need replacement. The anchor line consists of approx 100ft of triple strand and a 5 ft chain which is polymer coated. The polymer has made a gooey mess and in my view, the chain should be at least 15' in length (perhaps more but I don't want the extra weight of 32 feet). What's more concerning is the way the anchor has been seated in the pulpit for years now. When the anchor is hauled, it's shank and flukes remain below the pulpit. The metal crown has been seated right onto the interior fiberglass of rounded pulpit opening (forward). When the stem is secured (by a small line onto a cleat that's located next to the windlass), it pulls the shank up tight on the underside of the pulpit and the crown that rests on the gel coat is also thereby secured. However it has caused damage to the gel coat where in some spots the fiberglass can be seen. I believe the damage may be 'a culprit' that's allowed water to seep into the cabin discoloring the ceiling forward over the bow's berth (a dark grey discoloration on both sides). I realize that others have mentioned discoloration may be coming from the anchor locker or stanchions leaks and I haven't fully investigated those yet - up next. Nonetheless, here are a few questions I'd appreciate insights on:
1) What might anyone suggest for a better way to seat the Danforth anchor such that is does not cause damage to the gel coat?
2) What should I use to repair the 'gouges' in the gel coat - can I use a filler then sand/buff rather than mess with gel coat/hardeners etc.?
3) That plastic wheel on the roller, anyone purchase one recently that fits and might you share where I can source one?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Captain Sandra

DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

1. I have seen this damage on several Maxum's. Sea Rays roller have flares that protrude down further to stop the anchor from being raised as high, this would prevent this however I have not seen that roller bracket for sale anywhere.

2. Yes it's a standard fiberglass repair so fix the core damage with a thickened resin topped off with gelcoat.

3. Most places only sell the roller with the bracket, others have bought the cheapest assembly they can find and swap the roller to the existing bracket.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Captain

Someone else had a thread about the roller. Apparently it's narrower than what is readily available. I was thinking about making my own on the lathe out of Delrin when mine gets a little worse.
My 3200 has a sheet of plastic, like the stuff used for that cockpit sink cover or wet bar cover, thats under the bow pulpit. That's what my anchor seats on, so it never touches gel coat.
And on the anchor chain... Mine came with none; only line. Thought that was odd, but I still can get the anchor to hold, even in 20-30 feet of water with strong currents. Just have to let a lot of line out.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Captain

I have carried a Danforth and a Delta on the factory setup and the underside does have the same nylon/delrin/starboard plastic on the underside of the pulpit. Roller was made locally when I switched to a "V" style to better guide the Delta anchor.

I'd inspect the bedding on the cleats, windlass, etc. for your source of water intrusion.
They are your most likely suspect, particularly the small cleat, as that may not have been from the factory.

WRT the chain, rule of thumb is the chain should equal boat length.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Admiral

I think the OP is referring to glass damage inside the opening of the pulpit forward of the roller.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote