Old 04-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Default A.C. Issues and prop

Hello.

I have 1997 3000 scr. It has twin 4.3, alpha 2 out drives, Kohler generator.

First issue ac. Cleaned out filter that feeds pump, that feeds ac. Was very nasty. Pump appears to run, but not getting any water discharge out front of boat like typical. I took boating maintenance course few years back seem to remember this being a common issue. Can't remember the remedy, anyone have any information to share.

Also I believe I have spun hub. At high rpm props or prop not turning. No power to get on plane. Engines sound run find. Boat operates fine at low rpm, not when putting under pressure. I can't find owners manual anywhere. Wanting to know what type props came out on this boat. SS, alum, pitch etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanbaker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Weclome aboard seanbaker2010 !!!!

I'd suggest two separate threads. Otherwise this is going to get messy.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Weclome aboard seanbaker2010 !!!!

I'd suggest two separate threads. Otherwise this is going to get messy.

Sure thing. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome Seanbaker2010... Try taking a vac hose from a drynvac to suck the water out of the outlet opening on the left front side of your boat. But before all this make sure there are no blockages from your hull opening to your pump etc etc. Sometimes I have to do that to get things started at the first part of the boating season.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Welcome Seanbaker2010... Try taking a vac hose from a drynvac to suck the water out of the outlet opening on the left front side of your boat. But before all this make sure there are no blockages from your hull opening to your pump etc etc. Sometimes I have to do that to get things started at the first part of the boating season.

Good luck

Roger

Thanks roger. I have water to pump, even coming out of pump. Just not to ac unit. I thought about using air compressor to blow out line and make sure no blockages. Also will do as you recommend. Appreciate your time.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbaker2010 View Post
Thanks roger. I have water to pump, even coming out of pump. Just not to ac unit. I thought about using air compressor to blow out line and make sure no blockages. Also will do as you recommend. Appreciate your time.

You can use water hose and try to run it through the ac circuit and see if the water goes through. Just don't put to much pressure in it to avoid damaging the system.
forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Captain

Is the boat out of the water? I couldn't get my AC pump to prime out of the water since it's above the strainer where I had the hose, but in the water, the pump is below the water line and works fine.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Is the boat out of the water? I couldn't get my AC pump to prime out of the water since it's above the strainer where I had the hose, but in the water, the pump is below the water line and works fine.

In water. It's getting water. Just not getting up to ac unit. Ac will run, gets hot, no water flow kicks off.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Captain

I would backflush.
If there is gunk in the line or in the a/c unit, flushing in the normal direction will just jam it in further. I disconnect the hose from the pump in the engine room and then put a garden hose (city water) on the thruhull in the bow. Let the debris, etc flow into the bilge.
You could also isolate where the restriction may be by disconnecting the supply hose from the a/c unit & check that portion of the run.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
Admiral

Regarding the potential spun prop, is the rpms shooting up but no increase in speed? Any smell of burnt rubber in the engine compartment at the rear of the engine? This would be a spun coupler.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Regarding the potential spun prop, is the rpms shooting up but no increase in speed? Any smell of burnt rubber in the engine compartment at the rear of the engine? This would be a spun coupler.

Yes. It will take off normal, usually have tabs up(bow down), but once it reaches a certain point, Rpm shoot up, no increase in speed. Kind like slipping transmission in car. My good old buddy google says spun hub. I did not smell any rubber. It maneuvers fine at low rpm.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbaker2010 View Post
Yes. It will take off normal, usually have tabs up(bow down), but once it reaches a certain point, Rpm shoot up, no increase in speed. Kind like slipping transmission in car. My good old buddy google says spun hub. I did not smell any rubber. It maneuvers fine at low rpm.

Either spun prop hub or engine coupler with the first being more common. A prop shop can test it and repair it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
Captain

WRT the spun prop hub..
Easiest way to determine if it's the prop is to make two alignment marks, one on the prop and the other the washer/nut assy. I used a small punch to dimple them both as I was in the water... Go for a short run, trying to plane at least once or twice. Check the marks. If they are out of line then the hub is spent...

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote