Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Commander

Default 95 3200 scr question

Have a 95 3200 SCR that I picked up last summer. Have a question about the following, would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

1) Without keys in ignition, should trim tab switches work (not outdrive switches, but the trim tab switches themselves)? Many say they should only have power when ignition is on.
2) My port ignition key when turning to start the engine will sound a loud alarm. The starboard ignition key does not. Should they both, or should neither sound an alarm?
3) With ignition off, which of the helm switches should work, and when clicked on, should they also sound the alarm?
4) When trimming up the drives, how far up do they go without having to hit the trailer switch at the same time? Mine go up for about 2-3 seconds, then quit. My mechanic just installed both trim sensors and says they are fine. Does this boat not trim up a lot?

I'm trying to determine whether the above are problems or just behavior of this make/model.

Thanks again,
Jim

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Admiral

well..hope your enjoying the boat inspite of your questions....it seems sometimes that the manufacturer does things without really making sense....so..I'll try and answer some of them and hopefully someone with that model boat will chime in...
so...here goes..

1) trim tabs should work and have power to it anytime....all 3 of my boats always are able to move with no keys...
2)both engine alarms should sound for a few seconds when you initiate pwr to the circuit..it's a test function..
3)usually the port side will have pwr to say the instrument panel....
4)the drives only come up about 25degs totally...(I think that's the number I remember)...anyway ...too high and the ujoints will start to bind and cause damage to itself and the bellows...so..they limit travel while underway...that's also the reason you don't want to start the engine with the drives in the trailer position....your mechanic is pretty correct on the fact that your trim buttons only bring the drives up so far....mainly that way to prevent damage..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Commander

Thanks Seapuppy for the feedback. I still think I have some type of electrical issue, perhaps a bad ground some place. With the ignition off, when I hit the trim tabs, the alarm faintly sounds, and some of the gauges actually move, almost as if they are getting power. I checked the obvious, all the fuses, I removed and re-inserted all the hot wires on the fuse block. I giggled stuff around. I took out the trim tab switches, cleaned up all the contacts. Same problem exists. To boot, even though I hear the trim tab motors humming when the switches are pressed, neither trim tab moves. Boat is now in the water which doesn't help things either.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Ensign

check your port outdrive oil reservoir on top of engine if it is low the alarm will sound. On my 32scr they only sound if the engines won't start.
Boaty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaty45 View Post
check your port outdrive oil reservoir on top of engine if it is low the alarm will sound. On my 32scr they only sound if the engines won't start.
This is helpful. I didn’t know why the alarm was going off. If motor doesn’t start that’s helpful.

I also have trim issues but have not found the issues. I think it might be a bad wire because everything works of I bypass the wording and go directly to battery.
1chriscurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:32 AM   #6
Lt. JG

- According to my 3200 owners manual wiring diagram, the trim tabs are connected directly to the battery, so they should operate regardless of ignition.
- Both port and starboard alarms should sound with the ignition switches on and a low oil pressure sensed. Mine usually sound after a 5 second delay if I don't start the engines right away.
- I think most of the helm switches work with the ignition off. Trust me, you'll honk the horn by accident a lot.
- I've ran my boat this summer without using the trim at all. It gets up on plane easy and cruises at a good attitude without adjustment. I suppose I could squeeze some more performance out of it by tweaking the trim up a bit, but I'm more of an 1800 RPM slow cruise kind of guy anyway.

I hope that helps. Welcome to the club!
'Goose
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #7
Admiral

If the engine doesn’t start the alarms oil pressure switch stays open closing the alarm circuit causing it to sound.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote