Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question 4200 SCR Oil Change

Hi Folks

I recently did an oil change on my 1998 4100 SCR and noticed the starboard engine has 2 dipsticks, one aft and one forward. The Port engine however only has one dipstick aft. Now this may not seem a concern but I warmed the oil and used a pump to draw it out. On the starboard when I used the forward oil stick (which is lower on the engine) I was able to draw out another 2.5 quarts. I don't feel I was able to draw all the oil out of the port engine.

Has anyone seen this and what did you do to remediate?

Cheers

TC

ktchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Admiral

What kind of engines do you have? You sure it's not the power steering pump dip stick you are seeing?

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
What kind of engines do you have? You sure it's not the power steering pump dip stick you are seeing?
Its yellow. I Hope not. LOL Will check tonight. Power steering is usually a screw cap. This is a yellow dipstick that goes into the block and it about 2 feet in length.

8.2 mercruisers

Todd
Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
Admiral

Yellow is an oil dipstick.

My initial thought was the rear dipstick would allow for better oil removal since the front of the engines is somewhat higher. But it depends on where the oil pan sump is located. Under Documents of this site you should be able to find the engine manual, be interesting to see what it shows.

Did you screw the hose onto the dipstick tube or insert a hose into the tube? If the latter was it inserted all the way?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Yellow is an oil dipstick.

My initial thought was the rear dipstick would allow for better oil removal since the front of the engines is somewhat higher. But it depends on where the oil pan sump is located. Under Documents of this site you should be able to find the engine manual, be interesting to see what it shows.

Did you screw the hose onto the dipstick tube or insert a hose into the tube? If the latter was it inserted all the way?
Yeah it was a hose pushed into the tube.....it bottomed out and then I brought it up about 1/2 inch. Very bizarre setup. I need to send a tube camera in there and see if there is another spot for a 2nd dipstick on the port engine. The oil is way better than it was but I'd rather replace it all. won't be running it much like this over the cooler months but thought somebody may have seen this setup before.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #6
Admiral

Just looked at service manual 30 for your engine and it shows 3 potential locations for the dipstick; one on front starboard side, and the other two on either side of the engine rear. It appears that the starboard side whether front or rear connect to the same point on the oil pan.

Mike
Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Just looked at service manual 30 for your engine and it shows 3 potential locations for the dipstick; one on front starboard side, and the other two on either side of the engine rear. It appears that the starboard side whether front or rear connect to the same point on the oil pan.

Cool. I will have to look for them and add another one to the Port engine. It will make life a lot easier. Maybe I need to buy one of those service manuals too!!

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktchristie View Post
Cool. I will have to look for them and add another one to the Port engine. It will make life a lot easier. Maybe I need to buy one of those service manuals too!!

Appreciate the feedback.
The manual is free under Documents.

I don’t think the engine has three dipsticks just three potential positions which is a carry over from what auto they were used in. Mercruiser buys the GM engine they can get and marinizes them.

Mike
Old 10-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
The manual is free under Documents.

I don’t think the engine has three dipsticks just three potential positions which is a carry over from what auto they were used in. Mercruiser buys the GM engine they can get and marinizes them.
I realize that. One engine has 2 and the other only has 1. I understood that there are 3 potential areas to insert a dipstick. I will be taking advantage of that option and installing one on the port engine, starboard side of the port engine. Currently the port engine has one with the dipstick located (aft/port) which is difficult to get to. The Strbrd has two sticks on the port side of the engine aft and forward.

I understand this is a GM engine as well.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Some engine manufacturers offer an optional (remote) dipstick. This is for engines in very tight spaces or close together. This prevents awkward access if the dipstsick is outboard and difficult to reach. Like if you have twins and one is accessible and the other is a PITA to reach. I know Yanmar offers this as an option.

If you're drawing from the higher dipstick tube, there might be too much 'head' for the pump, or if there is an air leak due to a bad seal or just a weak pump or bad impeller.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktchristie View Post
I realize that. One engine has 2 and the other only has 1. I understood that there are 3 potential areas to insert a dipstick. I will be taking advantage of that option and installing one on the port engine, starboard side of the port engine. Currently the port engine has one with the dipstick located (aft/port) which is difficult to get to. The Strbrd has two sticks on the port side of the engine aft and forward.

I understand this is a GM engine as well.
No problem, when you said in post 7 " I will look for them" I took it that you might have thought they were already there.

Mike
Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Some engine manufacturers offer an optional (remote) dipstick. This is for engines in very tight spaces or close together. This prevents awkward access if the dipstsick is outboard and difficult to reach. Like if you have twins and one is accessible and the other is a PITA to reach. I know Yanmar offers this as an option.

If you're drawing from the higher dipstick tube, there might be too much 'head' for the pump, or if there is an air leak due to a bad seal or just a weak pump or bad impeller.
In this case the OP said he got more oil out of the forward dipstick which while lower appears to have a longer run to the pan. Interesting that this allowed him to get 2.5 more quarts of oil out vs the other.

Mike
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
In this case the OP said he got more oil out of the forward dipstick which while lower appears to have a longer run to the pan. Interesting that this allowed him to get 2.5 more quarts of oil out vs the other.
Longer run, but lease 'head'. All pumps are limited in how high they can draw vertically. As the oil level in the pan decreases, the head increases. The pump should be able to handle it, but if the oil changer has a weak pump (common when a manufacturer offers multiple models at different price points) or if there is a small airleak, or the impellor needs to be changed, then this condition might occur.

The lower dipstick isn't for the transmission, is it?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote