Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default 3300 Lighting Questions

Ok, can't believe I hadn't messed with this before but I'm stumped.

When you walk into the cabin of my 3300 there are 3 circular lights with manual switches in a triangle on the ceiling right outside of the bathroom door. I can't find a switch and none of them work......any ideas?

tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleshep View Post
Ok, can't believe I hadn't messed with this before but I'm stumped.

When you walk into the cabin of my 3300 there are 3 circular lights with manual switches in a triangle on the ceiling right outside of the bathroom door. I can't find a switch and none of them work......any ideas?
Hey Tshep,

If the Tirty-tree is box stock, each light will have a switch on each one on the side.

Bella Sera 3300SCR

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Yes they do, but those don't work either.....any idea where the power is coming from.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Your batteries need to be turned on as those lights are not powered by AC, they are powered by the batteries, as the rest of the lights are. If you are still not getting anything, try switching on all of your cabin lights by way of 3 of the 4 toggle switches up by your radio and try the single lights again. I cant remember if they are mastered off of one of those switches or not. If you still have nothing, you have 3 dead bulbs.
SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Captain

Summer, what is the fourth switch by the radio for??? I can figure out what it turns on/off.......jesse
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #6

Lightbulb Scotty, I need more power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
If you still have nothing, you have 3 dead bulbs.
Or a blown fuse, Like I said the 3300 stock wiring on those three dome lights doesn't include both a wall switch and a switch on the fixture itself since that would be redundent.

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. all lighting on the 3300 is 12 VDC, there are no stock 120 VAC lights so if your other cabin lights work.......so should they.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
Summer, what is the fourth switch by the radio for??? I can figure out what it turns on/off.......jesse
Your 3200's have 4 huh? 3300's only have 3.

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Captain

Bella, yes my 3200 has 4 switches by the radio. When I switch the fourth one the cockpit courtesy lights flicker, but does not turn them on/off?!?!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaMax View Post
Bella, yes my 3200 has 4 switches by the radio. When I switch the fourth one the cockpit courtesy lights flicker, but does not turn them on/off?!?!
What tha?? that doesn't sound good. What say the wiring schematic?

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. Calling Summerbreeze.....Does yours do the same??
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Captain

Bella, have not been able to find a detailed enough diagram........
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
What tha?? that doesn't sound good. What say the wiring schematic?

Bella Sera 3300SCR

P.S. Calling Summerbreeze.....Does yours do the same??
I suspect that most Maxum's are designed similarly. One thing I noticed on mine. Just inside the hatch to the cabin is the radio and the switches for the cabin lights. On mine they wired the switches (from to Fwd) so that the 1st switch (aft) lit the most forward light in the v-berth. The next switch, lit the settee. The 3rd switch lit the galley, the 4th switch (most fwd switch) lit the cabin lights by the steps and in the companionway in front of the mid-cabin. This to me seemed backwards. To me the bank of lights most aft, should be controlled by the switch most aft in the bank of switches. I also noticed that the switches are rockers that go down to turn ON and up to turn OFF. This also irritated me.

In your case you state the 4th switch. I assume that means the switch furthest forward? Are your switches set up like I described with the aft most switch controlling the forward most set of lights? IF that is the case, then the forward-most switch would control the aft set of lights and would be the switch for the lights you report as not working. (Is this making any sense??)

The internal cabin light switches should not at all be related to the exterior courtesy lights. Those would be controlled by switches on the helm. One should not affect the other. This sounds like a short somewhere. That being said. You stated that the '4th swtich' causes the exterior couresty lights to flickeer, but does not do anything to the cabin lights which aren't working.

Is there a chance that all the local switches on the lights themselves are off? Have you tried flipping the '4th switch' then flipping the individual switches on the cabin lights themselves?

Have you used a volt meter to test whether the lights are getting 12v to the sockets?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Mine has to be a fuse somewhere. Everything else has power and I've put "known working" bulbs in each. I'll get out the damn tester and fuse box and start screwing around.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #13

BTW- the fix for the lights was easy. The bank of switches is a single unit. I simply removed the entire unit and turned it over. Now the most aft switch controls the most aft set of lights and the most forward switch controls the most forward set of lights. Flipping each switch UP, turns the light ON, and flipping them down turns them off. Much more intuitive. The Admiral and I laugh and assume the switch bracket was simply installed backwards. However all the other switches (head for example) are down to turn ON and up to turn Off as well. We think the Maxum electrician may simply have been an idiot. Either that or there is a perfectly logical solution that is completely evading us.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
Commander

My 95 3200 has 4 switches next to the radio. The far left one is for courtesy lights right outside, along the floor by the icemakre. The other 3 control the cabin lights in the v-berth and the galley/dinette area. Then on the small wall between the head door and aft cabin, there is another panel with 2 switches, those control the lights in the aft cabin.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
Lieutenant

The fourth switch in the bank of 4, located closest to the cabin door is for the courtesy lights on the upper deck.

On the 3200, there is also another switch at the helm to control the same set of lights. It has been the case on more than one occasion that the lights were turned on in one location, off in another, which leaves the toggle switch light on at the helm set of toggles.

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote