Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 3200SCR: Where to add a Fresh Water Filter

I have a 98 3200SCR. We've decided to add a fresh water filter so that all of the spigots and the icemaker are receiving filtered water. Has anyone with a Maxum sport yacht done this before and if so, where did you cut into the line and what product did you use?

Thanks,
Jeff

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Admiral

you can cut into the fresh water line just after the water pump....might take some addition of some piping and elbows..but it's doable...
you can go to home despot and get the parts for the filter....just make sure it's compatable with the water pressure specs from the pump...so you don't drag the pump down or cause the water pressure at the spigots to be less....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Lieutenant

After much searching, I cannot seem to find the water pump. It sounds as though its coming from near the head, but there are no access points in the head to get to the pump. There is also no access to the pump anywhere in the engine room...nothing obvious near the water heater or anywhere else for that matter, so maybe someone who actually KNOWS where that pump is can give me a hint.

And as far as parts go, I'm aware that Home Depot or Lowes would be the place to get the items needed...I guess I didn't word my initial question very well, because what I thought I was asking was..had anyone here on the forum actually done this before on a Maxum Sport Yacht and what actual products (ie. filter equipment) did they use?

Thanks...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Captain

On my 94 the fresh water pump is located in the aft birth inside the closet, under the bottom shelf. It is just about under the head. I was going to suggest that is where u can put your water filter system. Might be enough room??
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Lieutenant

HavaMax...Exactly right. Thats where the pump is on my boat too...Thank you. Sad to say, not enough room there though for a filter. We decided to put it down in the engine room, right near the hot water heater...there's a free spot with adequate mounting for a filter there.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Hi Summerbreeze,
I put a whole house filter (froms Lowes) inline with my city water. I made a plywood bracket screwed flat to the top of my plywood cover of the holding tank in the engine compartment the filter is hung from the bracket, closest to the inlet. For around $30.00 with the charcoal type filter it works great with the dock water. I usually flush my fresh tank before season starts so all I needed was a good clean dock supply and this works great.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Horizon...
You read my mind. That's exactly what I did. Bracket to the holding tank cover, tapped into the cold water line just before it hit the water heater. I haven't had a taste yet, but I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Default Water Filter

Hi Summerbreeze,

Glad it worked out.
I really need to change my charcoal filter due to the marina having "bad" water at the beginning of season. It was rusty, but clear now. But I should still change it- only takes a few minutes with wrench supplied in the kit.

Joe

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote