Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2002 3100 scr

I am possibly looking to sell my 2011 Regal 2565 for a 2002 3100 SCR. Through some research and communicating with my dealer, I have come to the conclusion that maybe this boat is a rough rider, as this is what I have been told. So what better why to find out than to ask those who have them. How do these things ride? Any known issues? It has one new motor that has <10 hours. The other has over 350 hours.

Impatience II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Commander

Did you see this:

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #3

Welcome aboard Impatience II!!!

I'm not clear what lead you to that conclusion. Obviously drive and tab trim attitude along with speed is going to dictate this. ANY boat will be a rough ride if you not run apropriate for the sea state. Aside from that, hull design and in particular Deadrise is going to have the biggest impact on how a hull rides. Dearise is the angle of the hull measured at the transom. It is essentially how 'deep' or 'shallow' the V shape of the hull is.

The Lower the number, the sharper the angle (The Deeper the V) and typically the softer the ride. The higher the number, the flatter the angle and (The Shallower V, which results in potentially a rougher ride.

There are a number of variables that come into play as all hulls and boats are designed for different purposes. A flat hull (deadrise 180 degrees) will plane very quickly and a very slow speeds, but will pund like crazy and give a very, very rough ride. However, it is very very stable particular when drifting in beam too seas and can take load shifts.

A knife would have a 1 degree deadrise, which would cut through anything, but never be able to get on plane. Thus the compromise between being able to get on plane and being able to cut through chop.

Maxum's actually have fairly decent deadrise. I find they do ride well. I think my 2800 SCR has a 19 degree deadrise and a 'padded keel'. If run properly, there is very little pounding.

Coul dyou share with us, what information lead you to think otherwise?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Ensign

A dealer that I spoke with said that Maxum's are rough riders. That's all the information that I was given. Looks like the 3100 SCR has a 19 degree dead rise.

I just want to make sure that I don't purchase a rough and wet ride. I already have one of those at home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ball View Post
Yes I did see it. Gave some good insight.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
Commander

What type of waters do you boat in? My current boat is a 95 3200 SCR and going into my 3rd season with it this summer. My previous boat was a Sea Ray 270 so obviously getting used to a bigger boat was one thing I had to do. The size and weight of a larger boat is a learning experience. A small boat rolling from side to side isn't felt as much as a larger boat. I will say the Maxum plane well and given its height you do have to pay more attention to waves and crosswind. I boat in Long Island Great South Bay and there were some times that waves were 3-4 ft with a pretty decent crosswind. Got kind of hair raising for a bit, but I lend that to mostly my inexperience as a boater in such conditions. Like others have posted, it depends on a lot of conditions and experience of driving a new size and style of boat.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
Ensign

65-75% of our boating is in the confines of the CT River. The remaining is either treking to Greenport, Sag, Montauk, or Port Jefferson.

Last year we got stuck in Port Jefferson. Winds out of the north at 30-40mph with gusts to 60. 3' in the harbor. 6' in the sound. Tried making our way back to the CT River but got the snot kicked out of us. Instead went north to Norwalk. A rough, but much better ride.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Admiral

Compared to what? I would ask that dealer to give us this top secrect information. That just gets me....you are trying to get all the GOOD info from someone and they give you a brain fart info and that is all you retain.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Compared to what? I would ask that dealer to give us this top secrect information. That just gets me....you are trying to get all the GOOD info from someone and they give you a brain fart info and that is all you retain.

Roger
And how exactly does your post assist me in getting the information that I am looking for? In what was not even a 2 minute conversation he mentioned that they were rough riders. Who knows what his experience is with them. But doing my due diligence I decided to come to where I believed the information would be plentiful.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Commander

What I found between my 95 3200 and the sea ray 270 is they are just 2 different boats. Late last season I got pounded coming back from Fire Island. Crosswinds and high waves were a real challenge given the height of the boat it was pushing me around a good amount. Also my fuel tank and water tank weren't that full. I've talked to other Maxum owners and thats one of their suggestions is to keep them mostly full as to add weight low and center in the boat. That day coming back from Fire Island wasn't fun. Probably more due to my inexperience, and I never had that type of weather when I had my sea ray 270, so its not something I can compare. But that ride on that day my 3200 was listing pretty bad. It didn't help that my steering was having a binding issue and I was struggling keeping it on an angle into the waves, so that was a learning experience in that keeping a boat in tip-top mechanical shape is a key factor. When all is said and done, in my opinion and hindsight being 20/20, I would buy my 3200 scr all over again. If you can take it out for a ride for an hour or so that may help you as well. Good luck.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
Ensign

Thanks for the info. I think we will get plenty of time on the boat before making a purchase. They are friends of our who are relocating. But not until after the summer. They know we are interested so I'm sure we will get a few runs.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #12
Ensign

Any known issues with this model? Did Merc fix the corrosion issues with the Bravo 3 out drive by 2002? I hate going from a 2 year old boat to an 11 year old boat. That's what scares me the most.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #13
Admiral

Impatience......My point is just that...You remembered the negative of what the dealer said. Nothing again you. I have been boating for lots of years . I have had two great Bayliner boats until our Maxum came along. Go to the Bayinerownersclub .com website if you want to feel persecuted. There are more rumors about one boat maker than you can shake a stick at and 99.9% are crapola. My advise to you is to do your due diligence as you say. Don't depend on what others say find out first hand. For the money you can not find a better built boat than Maxum IMHO. but as I said before don't listen to me find out for yourself. Hands on is better than a whisper in the ear.

Good Luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote