Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2001 3300scr portable generator

Hey everyone:
My wife and I picked up this beauty last fall. Of course we tried to get some use out of it befor putting it away for the winter. We had a sleep over at Pottahawk thanks giving weekend, but the 2000watt Hyundai generator/inverter we bought at Wally World to run our heater wouldnt cut it. The heater just cycled off and on but wouldnt work. I was thinking of picking up a Honda 2000watt generator/inverter. I suspect the cheap Geny wouldnt handle the inrush draw at start up. Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on this topic. The heater works fine pluged into a 15amp shore power.

queenendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Admiral

My wife and I have a 2001 3000SCR also with/out a genny. I have been told that a Honda EU2000i companion will do the trick for us using it when we are on the hook. It is pretty easy to figure out what your pull is (total watts) and compared that to what the genny will do. Honda's are known for being real quiet compared to the cheaper brands much more relialbe. Yamaha make a 2000 also that is about the same in proformance. Last time I looked at prices around a grand or just alittle under. Just google all this up and can answer your questions in more detail. Don't try to run the genny in the beilge, you will blow yourself up and thats bad..... I have heard a trick by using a piece of flat styrofoam to put under your genny when running out on the ski platform to take care of the vibration.

Hope this helps :-)

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Congrats on the new boat!! I'm using a Honda 2000i without any issues aside from reasonable limitations.

It looks like we have a couple of variables here that need some clarification. You have:

1) a 2000watt Hyundai Genny

2) You have an electric heater.

-> How are you connecting the genny to the heater? I have one of these (link below) which I plug into my Honda, then connect my shore power cord to the shore power receptical and use the breaker panel to control what is being powered by teh generator.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...692&id=1515595

This requires some thought in regards to conservation. For example, I keep the fridge and the battery charger on all the time. However, I cannot keep the water heater on all the time. However, i don't really need to because it only takes about 20 min. for the water heater to heat the water and it holds heat for a good deal of time. I cannot run the water heater and the stove at the same time. I typically only run the heater and the fridge together with everything else turned off.

-> How large is the electric heater? How much does it draw? I use one of these and don't have any issues:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10702

I can see that a larger electric heater could cause some issues.

-> The Hyundai specs actually look a bit better than the Honda

Hyundai:

Watts:
2200W Peak Power, 2000W Running Power
Amps:
Output Current 16.6A, Max Circuit 20A
Motor:
3.8HP 5500RPM 125CC Hyundai Motor
Start:
Manual Recoil
Outlets:
Two 120V 16.6A AC & One 12V 8.3A DC
Fuel Capacity:
7 Litres
Max AC Output:
2200W
Fuel Type:
Unleaded Gasoline
Running Time:
5.5 Hours
Noise Level:
65dB
Frame:
3mm Polypropylene
Dimensions:
525x330x575mm
Weight:
32kg

EU2000i Companion
Specifications
Engine
Honda GX100
Displacement
98.5cc
AC Output
120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles
30A 125V Locking Plug, 20A 125 V receptacle
DC Output
NA
Starting System
Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity
1.1 gal.
Run Time per Tankful
4hrs. @ rated load, 9.6 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H)
20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"
Noise Level
59 dB @ rated load 53dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight
45.9 lbs.
Residential Warranty
3 Years
Commercial Warranty
3 Years

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Seems we are all in the same boat (no pun intended). I am also searching for a portable generator as well. i have seen this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ETQ-3500W-Portab...item1e61d7c097
seems like a pretty good deal, but i have not heard of the brand.
If you are not sure about the honda, you probably could rent one at a local rental store, and give it a go before buying one.

50 days til spring launching!
katsal2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Admiral

IMHO..........I do know this when I was looking into all this that Honda or Yamaha would be my choices only because......... first they are so much more quieter than the rest and second the reliablity is second to none with these makes.

Now the price? I am willing to pay for that........

You can find good deals on Honda's genny's on E bay too.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

The model on eBay is certainly priced right, and a 3K Watt pushing out 25 Amps is nice. However, 3.5 hrs @ 50% load. The smaller genny's are 4 hrs @ 100%, granted it's only 15 amp. I guess it comes down to what you need to run, i.e. how much do you need to consume for energy over a given time. i've never run the AC on the 2000 watt Honda.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Good points Shrew, my last boat had a westerbeke gen set and i never ran the a/c while on the hook. Co climate is warm sunny days and cool nights. Realistically my 1st need is to charge the batteries, then use of tv / dvd for the kids @ nite & occasional microwave use. i'll post a reply this spring on what we ended up with on the swim-platform.

katsal2k is offline   Reply With Quote