Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2000 Maxum 4100 SCA "restoration"

Hey

So I have a 2000 4100 SCA that has not run in 2 years that I am trying to bring back to life, I know nothing about boats but I am learning quick,
just looking for any tips/tricks/suggestions,

I am hearing mixed opinions about starting the engine up then shutting it down right away out of water.

Cummins diesel engine, I am not sure the exact model yet 1500 hours on on both

Westerbeke Generator 8kw needs replacement hose - do third party hoses exist?

Will probably need some new batteries, will probably need to replace fresh water pump

Batmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #2

Welcome aboard.
I would replace the ignition system (spark plug, wire, distributor cap-rotor maybe ignition coil if looks old) MT and clean the fuel tank, change filter. I would change the engine oil and filter to have a fresh start. If the boat is out from water change the gear oil. Battery, I would buy the 27 series close to 1000 cca to be in the safe way.
For hoses, I find this for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westerbeke-...LH_TitleDesc=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Wes...LH_TitleDesc=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERBEKE-...LH_TitleDesc=0

You buy what you need from them. Good luck.

Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Admiral

It's a diesel engine Gugi47. That ignition system does not exist.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
It's a diesel engine Gugi47. That ignition system does not exist.
Correct nor does it have outdrives so no gear lube, however there are inboard transmissions with fluid that should be changed.

The raw water impellers should also be changed but once done do not run the engines without a water supply.

What hose needs replacement on the genny? Hose to thru hulls is typically just standard straight boat hose for raw water intake and exhaust.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Correct nor does it have outdrives so no gear lube, however there are inboard transmissions with fluid that should be changed.

The raw water impellers should also be changed but once done do not run the engines without a water supply.

What hose needs replacement on the genny? Hose to thru hulls is typically just standard straight boat hose for raw water intake and exhaust.
Yep....LOL Was something in my coffee this morning? Sorry by that.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

I would do the following:

1) Inspect all seacocks, make sure they can easily and completely open and close. Make sure they are properly bonded.

2) Inspect ALL hoses. Replace anything, cracked, brittle, or not flexible.

3) Inspect all hose clamps. replace any that are rusted. Make sure there are two hose clamps at any connection below the water line. (I double any clamps tied to a pump as well, provided two clamps will fit)

3) Inspect the sea strainers. Make sure the baskets are clean and intact.

3) Replace impellors

4) Change engine and transmission oil.

5) Replace all engine zincs. (DO NOT use teflon tape (or anything) on the threads of the mounting bolts.

NOTE: DO NOT start the engine without cooling water. If the boat is out of the water, then you can close the engine seacock. Remove the top of the sea strainer. Fill the sea strainer with water. Have a hose handy. Start the engine and flood the sea strainer with water from the running hose. The water doesn't need to be running as fast as you would expect. I can pour water from a jug as fast as my 6 cylinder diesel is drawing water at idle.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Lt. JG

thanks guys appreciate it, all helpful, Ill be throwing up some before and after pictures tomorrow night, it really is a beautiful boat, except its been sitting on land for the past 2 years become a spider sanctuary! ahhh!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:21 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post

might just be easier to find some hose and cut then order from a distributor, can I do that with boats? I do plan to get a mechanic to commission it before it goes in to water
Attached Thumbnails
38085325_10214336611463644_348515872853196800_n.png   38122624_10214336613023683_6721733868187025408_n.jpg  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
Admiral

Yes you can use straight hose however it may kink with those bends and reduce water flow too much.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #10

Reinforced flexible wet exhaust & water hose should be able to make that bend without any issues.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

I just installed a hose kit I bought from Westerbeke. About $ 150 which includes 4 hoses and a carrying bag. I had a small fresh water leak (antifreeze) with the Heat EX to Exhaust Manifold hose. WB sent me the wrong size hose. It took about 2 months before they could get the hose manufacture to make a new one. They said I had an earlier Serial # and did not have any in-stock. PLEASE MAKE sure they know, and tell them, that your 8BTD is probably an earlier version. My boat was a '99 SCA. Probably do better to order the hoses from a distributor rather than WB! Not a good idea to start engines with no water flow. Will quickly destroy the Sherwood impeller. At lease put a water hose inside the main sea strainer and don't run much over idle rpm. Take a look at the port gear box. Is it new or original. LOTS and LOTS of these failed due to fly-wheel mismatch with ZF gear box. I can write a book on this problem. Also, pay attention to the exhaust design, especially on port side. The Cummins 6BTA's (330 or 370 hp) are Great mechanical engines. But you need to prop them properly. If you need to talk, let me know. BTW, I'm typing this at a floating dock marina on my SCA in Pensacola, FL. Tropical Storm Gordon just came by. Glenn
Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn111 View Post
If you need to talk, let me know.
Please keep discussions in the forum. Soliciting discussions outside the forum defeats the purpose and intention of a forum and prevents others from benefiting from the information.