Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1998-4100 SCA Aft Wast Tank Access-Removal of Bed?

Can someone tell me how to take apart the Aft Cabin bed to access the waste tank under the bed?

I'd like to install a Tank monitor http://www.scadtech.com/index.php?q=tank_monitors to upgrade the "Full" light only version that came with the boat.

I'm having trouble figuring out if the panels are glued to the tank or what? I can see and get to the access holes on top but adding the new sensor strips requires accessing the sides of the tank. Also, I'd like to replace a few of the 1.5" lines while in there.

Any suggestions or help would be awesome!

thegrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

If you have an access hole, then you may be better off installing a float sensor, rather than the external sensor. SCAD offers both kinds. I believe the floor would need to be cut out of there to access the holding tank as you're describing.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
Ensign

Shrew,

Thanks for the response. I can't believe that no one has taken apart the aft cabin bed assembly on a 4100 SCA? Anyone? It's not the floor, but the bed enclosure itself that seems to be around the tank. As I mentioned, I want to replace some of the hoses as well.

If anyone has attempted this before, I would greatly appreciate pointers on how to do it.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Admiral

While there are several members with this model your numbers pale in comparison to smaller boats. Additionally the task you are inquiring about is not that common so you may be the first here doing so, if that's the case please post the project for other and good luck.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

We're talking about disassembling something that would only require doing so for replacement. This item is not commonly replaced. They typically orient access so you can get at the fitting themselves so there is no need for further disassembly. The bulkheads and furniture are not affixed to the holding tank itself. However, I doubt the furniture itself is easily disassembled.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I've had to do this on another boat. Get a screwgun, and be prepared to remove some screws. There are around a hundred.

On the other boat I didn't have to remove the entire bed just enough to pull off the two large plywood sheets that make up the base, (platform). It was an entire weekend project.

It looks harder than it is. Once you pull the screws, and gain access it's fairly easy.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
Ensign

2 months ago, I dedicated a weekend to removing the bed frame and under base. After about 75 screws and very deep into it, it appears that the flooring under the bed was completed and carpeted prior to the bed being put into the boat. Bummer. I even cut some of the floor out with a small skill saw to gain access. The waste tank is located in the foot area under the bed deep in the bilge with little or no access to any sides of it (on the 4100 SCA). My main reason was I thought it would be great to know exactly how much waste was in the black water tank instead of a stupid red light buzzer that came from the factory (that goes bad a few years after new).

My Solution was to use a https://www.tankedge.com (iseries Tank Monitor). I mounted the control above the power panel and ran the wires all the way to the stern. I had to cut out part of a small bulkhead behind the tank, but after doing this, I could stick the sensors on the tank externally and vertically (I used (2) of them 4" apart for best monitoring reports). Again, I mounted the sensors directly to the waste tank on the most aft part of it. While I was at it, I placed 2 on the fresh water tank that is located directly under the bed center (much easier to get to).

Now I have complete fresh and Black water tank monitoring and I have an alarm set that warns me that I am 85% full on waste and also that tells me when I am at 15% of fresh water.

Absolutely awesome!

Not too expensive and certainly within a weekend job to install complete system.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #8

Thanks for following-up on the thread. That is great news.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Ha thegrinch, did you take any pictures, because i have the same job to do. thanks

kingstonal is offline   Reply With Quote