Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Water in Fuel Tank

Well I just did the dumbest thing I've done in a very long time. I still had some antifreeze residue in my fresh water tank so i pumped it all out. Then went up on the deck and removed the deck fitting on the starboard side with the tool and stuck the hose in and turned it on. I then went in the cabin and turned the pump on and opened the faucet. When nothing came out after a few minutes I wen to check the hose and to my horror saw "GAS" on the fitting.

I pulled the hose out but the damage was done. Probably 10-20 gallons of water in the starboard fuel tank. I have only fueled this boat once and did it from the cockpit. When filling the water tank I do it from the deck as it's not on my dockside. These fittings are only about 8" apart and use the same tool. The water fitting is on the hull side so you can't see it unless you put your head over the side. When I filled it in the spring, I did it from the ground before the boat was launched and forgot it was on the side and just popped off the one I saw. I had a few pops as well so that probably didn't help matters.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this or have any suggestions on how to recover from this disaster? The engines have not been started. The boat is a 1998 3000 SCR with 75 gallon tanks. The tank was about 3/8 full before the water went in so the mix is probably around 50/50.

I'm almost too embarrassed to even post this but I would really appreciate any ideas.

blakels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Admiral

Well IMO it's not as bad as the folks who fill the bilge by inserting the gas into a rod holder, it happens.

Gas is lighter than water so the water will go to the bottom of the tank. You can remove the fuel line that goes to the engine from the tank and use a hand pump of spark free one and connect it to the tank to pump the water out into a gas can until the water out and you are pumping gas. Or call a professional company that does this.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Admiral

pump it out. fill with fresh gas and add Stabil to the tank. Swap out the fuel filter / separator after you run the first tank and empty it into a glass jar to see if water remains in the tank.

Mistakes happen. I'd be willing to bet you'll never make that one again.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks guys. Do you know if there is a shut off valve for the fuel supply hose anywhere? I followed the line and it just went through the bulkhead. I don't even know where the actual tank is. I'm concerned if I remove the supply line from the filter housing that it will start gravity draining.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Admiral

Roger has the same model maybe he knows where the fuel tanks are. Stick a bolt into the hose and tighten the clamp but I doubt much will come out.

Mike
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Admiral

Did a quick look at the manual and the fuel tanks appear to be just forward of the engine compartment bulkhead on the port and starboard sides.

Mike
Old 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
Captain

No shut offs on this model.

Pumping out can be done thru the deck fill, however it may leave a bit in the tank.
Best option for the pump company to get it all would be to go in thru the sender opening on top of the tank.

Port side. Access to the sender is thru the locker under the cockpit sink. Remove the inspection plate on the forward side of the cabinet liner and the sender is right there..

Starboard side is thru the aft cabin. Top panel of the stbd wall is held in by Velcro. Carefully pull out on the center and work the panel out/down. Reading light wiring has enough slack to rest the panel on the seat. Sender is easy access from there

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Thanks, I've had that panel out before to route my transducer cable. Do you think I could remove the supply line from the filter housing and pump it out through that?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #9

There are companies that specialize in these types of problems. They will come out and scrub the fuel for you.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Salvage company wanted $600 per 55 gallon drum for disposal. I took Jparsons advice and went through the sender hole to be certain I was at the bottom of the tank. I connected two 2 foot long pieces of 1/2" PVC pipe together with an 8" piece of hose and put it all the way to the bottom rear of the tank. Then i put a 20' hose on it, ran it through the strap for the cabin door for support and into the bilge where I had a bucket. I connected a $10 siphon pump from Home Depot and away we went.

I took it to just above empty and added 2 bottles of Heet. I have not started it yet, I want to add at least 5 gallons of fresh gas.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #11
Admiral

Keep us posted.

Mike