Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Waste/Black water pump out for 1994 2400scr

I've been trying to pump out my waste water but I have no clue how to do it. My local Marina has a suction type of pump. Is there a valve or something I'm suppose to close or open before I suck everything out? Every time I head out to to the pumps I get nothing but air and nothing comes out. I'm sure i have roughly 5 gallons of stuff in there and I would like to have it pumped out before soon as I am starting the winterizing process soon. I check the owners manual and it doesn't say anything about a switch or pump i am suppose to turn on.

If it helps my fresh water system is not hooked up. Mainly because I never use it and I'm finding a replacement water filter.

Flightfollowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Captain

You may just need to prime the pump. I usually open the valve and throw the suction end in the river for a few seconds till its pumping solid, then shut the valve off with the end still in the water. Then immediately put it on the deck plate and open the valve.

Ask the harbor master or dock hands if they'll give you a hand as you've never done it before. Most would rather help you than have a mistake happen and waste get in the water.

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
Admiral

First I am assuming you are pumping from the waste fitting on the rear starboard side, correct. In the engine compartment follow the hose from that fitting to the holding tank, does it go directly to the tank or a Y valve for overboard pumping? If Y valve make sure it is in the position to pump out. If no valve you may have a clogged tank vent, try removing vent hose from the the tru hull fitting and see if that helps.

As Kevin said could also be weak vacuum pump out station. Have you tried other places?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
Captain

+1 on a clogged vent. I just solved a clogged vent on my fresh water tank, and it's amazing how much more water I can put in now. Pretty sure my port fuel vent is clogged too.

If your vent is clogged, it can't move waste out because it can't replace it with air.

Another thought, what chemicals have you treated the waste with?

Standard blue rv treatment preserves the waste and deodorizes it. It may be too solid to pump. On a boat you must use an enzyme digester, to liquefy the waste so it will pump. Rv's dump by gravity, so solids aren't as big an issue.

Or, maybe you just need to eat more fiber. :-)
Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Lieutenant

I have the very same boat, 2400 SCR. Make sure your vent is not clogged before you attempt to pump it out, not too long ago my plastic waste holding tank collapsed due to clogged vent while I was pumping it out at the marina. I have to remove the tank, blocked all the openings and inflate it with air compressor through the vent, it's good it didn't crack and it came back to its original shape.
cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Ensign

I'll check to see if there is a Y valve tomorrow. How do I clear the vent? last time I tried to pump it, I did hear air coming from a vent somewhere. Keep in mind that this is the first season I've used my septic system so I am pretty new to this. I haven't used any chemicals to treat my tank.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Admiral

Vent is on the starboard side, there are two the other is for the gas tank which if I recall is the rear one. Looking from the outside any signs of bugs nest or other crud. It has a mesh screen in it. Remove line from the inside and try blowing some compressed air through it.

What is in the tank just number 1 or also 2?

Most 2400 like mine does not have a Y valve, also if you are hearing air sucking the vent is probably not clog and if there is a Y valve it is in the right position for pump out.

Mike
Old 12-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Ensign

Well i just tried to pump out again today and no luck. There is no y valve and the air is coming through. The tank is super full and the boat is winterized. I need to find a pump out facility that has pump station on land that is willing to work with me on this. Anyone have any other options?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
Admiral

Can you tell is the waste partially liquid or mainly solidified? If the latter you have a big problem.

Look for a pump that you connect a hose (at least one inch diameter), run the hose down the deck plant and pump into a bucket. Otherwise disconnect the tanks hoses and pull it and try pouring out the poo.

Mike
Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

If there is air sucking into the holding tank vent, then neither the vent tube, nor the pumpout hose are blocked. If you stick the pumpout hose into the water does it suck up water? I would ensure the pump is primed prior to pumping out. Or locate another pumpout station.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #11
Captain

If the pump is sucking air from the vent, there is another problem. The pump out line comes out the bottom of the tank, the vent out the top. If they are connected there is nothing in the way in the tank. Perhaps the input line to the tank is plugged. Have you tried taking it off at the head and snaking it out?