Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Transom question

I have a 2400scr from 97 and I have try to search for how the transom is built on this boat, I can't find anything concrete.
I googled and couldn't find anyone that has had problem whit rotten transom.
How have maxum built the transom on this boat? What type of material have they used?

The reason I wonder is that on the drain plug the lowest screw was glued stuck whit the same material that is supposed too seal the drain plug from leakage.

Do I have to worry about rotten wood? Or is that to far down on the transom?

Fippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Admiral

Fippe like most production boats the main structure is wood. The transom and stringers are wood laminated in fiberglass. I have the same boat and year as you. 2 years ago I needed to remove and reseal my garboard drain (transom plug). I was happy to see that Maxum had laminated in a plastic tube from the inside to the out and that no wood is exposed. The reason the wood rots is from water intrusion where the wood is exposed from the transom engine cutout, screws into the wood that are not sealed or the sealant has failed. These days most builders with glass the openings for the engine cut out and some are using non wood material.

You can use a dead blow hammer to tap these areas, solid wood will sound hard with a single thud while rot will sound soft and hollow. You can also have it surveyed by someone who will use a moister tester that measure absorber water.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote