Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default trailer/trim switches are not working

Hi All,
I just purchased a 2001 2900 SCR and found out that the trailer switches for the trim (port and starboard) are not working but the trim controls (up/down in/out) are working on the throttle controls, any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you
Matt

MattL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Admiral

Matt welcome aboard

Since the drives trim in/out the pump and solenoids are working. The only difference for the trailer switch is the switch itself which uses the same solenoids as the trim in/out does it just by-passes the trim limit switch.

You'll need the trim wiring diagram and troubleshoot the trailer switches at the helm. The blue-white wire is the by-pass that should get 12V when the trailer switch is pressed.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Lt. JG

ok thanks Mike, would both trailer switches utilize the same fuse in the fuse block? i find it funny that both do not work. i will check the fuse panel first,if that doesnt work, then
i will try a jumper to the blue/white from the battery just to get the drives all the way up for the trailer trip home, then i can really dig into it.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Admiral

No they should be on different fuses however the fuse is used for regular trim and trailer trim so should not be the issue. Yes providing 12V to the blue/white will raise the drive and you will need to do so for each drive as they have separate pumps. Another option is to by-pass the trim limit switch at the wiring connections where the engine harness meets the wires coming in from the switch on the transom assembly. Then the trim up will not be limited and the drive can go all the way up.

Mike
Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Lt. JG

thanks Mike,
i spoke with the former owner and he told me that it works in conjuction with the trim in/out switches on the throttle control, "trim all the way up, then hold the trailer swithch down and continue trimming up with the trim switch on the throttle control and the drive should come up to trailer height".

thanks again for your help,
Matt
Old 11-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
thanks Mike,
i spoke with the former owner and he told me that it works in conjuction with the trim in/out switches on the throttle control, "trim all the way up, then hold the trailer swithch down and continue trimming up with the trim switch on the throttle control and the drive should come up to trailer height".

thanks again for your help,
Matt

Oh that's how the old units from the 70's and earlier worked. Maybe they do that with twins.
Glad you figured it out.

Mike
Old 11-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Default Also the same on 1990 Maxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Oh that's how the old units from the 70's and earlier worked. Maybe they do that with twins.
Glad you figured it out.
My 1990 Maxum 2755 SCR requires you to do exactly the same thing to operate the trailer up/down switch. Mine is single 7.5.

I couldn't figure it out 'till my Mercruiser factory trained mechanic explained that was the way to make the trailer up switch work.
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

If I remember correctly, you should be able to jumper the Solenoid on the Drive OUT side and this would also bypass the trim limit switch. Are you hearing a 'CLICK' when you hit the Trailer UP button?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Yes, Shrew, as a matter of fact I do hear a click when I hit the trailer up button.

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote