Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Single engine Maxums

Greetings Everyone,

We are winding down the season (far too quickly) on Lake Coeur d' Alene, in Idaho. It has been a wonderful summer. That said. I am really wanting to move up (now that I am in a slip on the lake) I am not sure if
Maxum built a 30 foot SCR (or other) with a SINGLE engine. I have seen 28 footers, but am interested in the 29 -30 foot length if available in a single engine configuration. Any ideas, experience or insights on this size with the single engine?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I dunno, Mike, any 29-30 foot boat with a single will, I think, be way under powered.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Admiral

look at the 2700scr or the 2800 scr....both are roomy boats and have enough pwr with the 6.2ltr /b3 option....the other option is with a big block engine but that will be pushing alot of boat and engine to get up on plane....but...it is roomy...

the 3000scr will come with twins..that's when maxum made the break from single to twins...alot more beam and room for the twin engine options...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

Mike, I'm on CDA Lake with you... on a single engine 2900 SCR (2001 model year). In the same marina as me (Carlin Bay Property Owner's Association Marina) is a 2000 model year 2800 SCR. Hulls are IDENTICAL in LOA and beam, it's just that mine is a year newer and for some reason they started calling it a 2900 SCR instead of a 2800 SCR in 2001... odd. The 3000 SCR in the same year has the 11 foot beam and required two engines... but they (Maxum) made the 2800 and 2900 in both single and dual engine models (the dual engine only came in a V-6 though). A friend of mine just sold HIS 1999 model year 2800 SCR, and it too is identical in size (even the engine--- a single 6.2L) to my 2001 model year 2900 SCR.

My single 6.2L engine gets me on plane with up to six people on board... sure it takes 20 seconds or so but even when we're pulling the JetSki on the tow rope it gets on plane. I've also added a huge swim platform which doesn't help it's planing ability. As infrequent as we get on plane anymore (@ $4+/gallon for gas!) it isn't an issue for us though.

I did an extensive amount of research on this particular model year before buying Endless Summer out of Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) in late 2006. I wanted the largest boat I could buy/afford, but still trailer it behind my Suburban. What I ended up with was about 11,000 lbs behind my 2004 model year Suburban, WAY overrated for it's 8,600 lb tow rating... but it still pulls fine. I've towed it to Roosevelt, Priest and of course CDA with no issues whatsoever... and have plans to take it to Puget Sound next Summer, Flathead Lake soon, etc... The next boat size "up" would have been the 11' "beam'd" 3000 SCR, and about 13,000 overall weight (towing weights I list here include the trailer, fully-loaded boat, etc...) That was just too much for me, not to mention the extra $$ for the boat itself... plus the layout of the 3000 SCR had the second "dinette" in the mid-cabin instead of the more "permanent" bed/berth. That's the admiral and my's sleeping cabin, and our two boys sleep on the V-berth---we preferred the bed-birth instead of filler cushions, just a personal preference.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Admiral

Jeff
let me know when you get out here in the puget sound....we'll meet up..

I'll buy the first round of beer.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Already had planned on it, SP... great minds think alike!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Admiral

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Greetings Everyone,

We are winding down the season (far too quickly) on Lake Coeur d' Alene, in Idaho. It has been a wonderful summer. That said. I am really wanting to move up (now that I am in a slip on the lake) I am not sure if
Maxum built a 30 foot SCR (or other) with a SINGLE engine. I have seen 28 footers, but am interested in the 29 -30 foot length if available in a single engine configuration. Any ideas, experience or insights on this size with the single engine?

Thanks,

Mike
yo mike,

the had the same strategy as bayliner did, the 2855 available with one engine and the 3055 only available with two engines (mostley two times 5.0 ltr here in the netherlands)

i have never seen or met a 30 ft single engine maxum

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Hey Mike,

I also have the 2001 2900SCR with a 7.4MPI and Bravo III. Mine has a factory genny and is really comfortable with 6 people. I think the LOA is about 31.5 foot. Max speed is about 33 by gps when its trimmed nice and a decent cruise is around 24. It's got all the mod cons including AC, etc and really is very comfortable for 4 (2 couples ;-)) sleeping overnight. It's a nice roomy boat and pretty maneuverable once you get used to its size and the single engine. Personally, I'm looking to trade up. I would have preferred the dual engine and if I had to do it all over again, I would of had that. I like a bit more power and a little more speed on the long runs from one end of the lake to the other but that's just my opinion.

Either way, I think they are brilliant boats so good luck to you.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Captain

i have the 2800scr with one 7.4mpi and bravo III.

The 7.4 got a better horse power to weight ration then two 4.3 V-6's.

Less weight, less outdrives, and 7.4 is fuel injected, 4.3 are carborated..... not sure who wants those.....

this 7.4 on ebay right now is at $35k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxum...m=330621489898

there is a dual 4.3 in my area that has not sold in a year for $22k.

so, my opinion is v-6 is just worth the metal ypur dragging around. fourwinns, sea ray all put two 4.3, and the resale is crap.

I would not want a 6.2, but it's suppost to be rated higher in hp then the 7.4

anyone with two 7.4 or 5.7 are sitting at the dock, becasue they are not spending $70 dollars to get out of the channel.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Admiral

on my 2700scr ..we had the 6.2ltr mpi engine with B3 drive...that was an awesome combination...more hp than a bb..just as much torque...and it was just about bullet proof....I'd recommend that if you can find the 6.2ltr...I wouldn't hesitate to run it.....but that's just me.....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #12
Lt. JG

Thank you,everyone for your comments and perspectives. Just wrapped up a fantastic summer on Lake Coeur d' Alene (Jeff, I HOPE you got out on Saturday...the best!) Anyway, "Lanikai" is now packed away, and we are already looking forward to the Seattle Boat Show. I'll begin looking in earnest in the spring, but what a grand summer it has been.

To all who contribute their comments to this site, a thank you as well. I always learn from your experiences, comments and questions!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Took Endless Summer out two Sundays ago, actually... the boys' football and basketball activities are cutting into my end-of-the-year boating seasons as they get older! We moor in Carlin Bay, have I seen your boat in Conkling Park Marina I believe?---or?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #14
Lt. JG

Hi Jeff,

'We're at Silver Beach... and didn't go south beyond "Shooters" this season as we always fell in with "evil" companions who had fun planned closer to home. Hope we can catch up in the Spring. CDA is just so great and we have met so many fun people. I get the part about kids and their activities....but it is well worth it, isn't it? I am counting on a much better Spring season next year!

Mike
Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

I moored at Silver in 2007 and 2010, F dock (small world). Yeah this Spring sucked bigtime, we'll look for your next year!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Ensign

Did you choose a boat? I saw this old post. I am in the buying mode now and also trying to make these tradeoffs. Any input from what you learned would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
mguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
the 3000scr will come with twins..that's when maxum made the break from single to twins...alot more beam and room for the twin engine options...

SP
Just to clarify, Maxum did indeed make a small number of single engine 3000 SCR's. They come with the 454 big block. There are currently (3) of them for sale and on the market at this time (Jan 2012).

To the original poster's question : With the 3000 SCR weighing in around 11,000 pounds, a single would leave you wanting more, in my opinion, unless your use of it is mainly going to be tied to the dock at the marina or your favorite anchor spot isnt far from where you slip the boat ( a short ride in other words ).

Plus, as the 3000 is prone to leaning to port when equipped with a generator, I would imagine this is even more pronounced on single engine 3000 SCR's when equipped with one, but I do not know this for fact as I have never seen one.
38 Cigarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
Admiral

welcome to the zoo there 38 cig.....thanks for the post...I thought that the 30 ft mark was the break from singles to twins....they may indeed have built some singles and moved to twins later....

thanks for the info..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
welcome to the zoo there 38 cig.....thanks for the post...I thought that the 30 ft mark was the break from singles to twins....they may indeed have built some singles and moved to twins later....

thanks for the info..

SP
Hey, thank you for the welcome
Im close to buying a 3000 and have been looking and researching for about a year now so I have amassed quite a bit of knowledge/information on them. I look forward to adding appropriate contributions on this site.
38 Cigarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
Ensign

Jeff, would you mind contacting me at markaguthrie@gmail.com...I'm considering a 2800/2900 scr. Thanks, Mark

mguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote