Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Shower Question After Firtst Overnight Cruise on 2700 SCR

I acquired my 1990 2700 SCR earlier this summer. After a few repairs I was able to complete myself (leaking hull, new starter, new battery, cracked fuel filler hose) it seems to be running great. We travelled about 25 miles up Last Mountain Lake and overnighted in a marina.

The lake gets some pretty big swells up there and I thought I would open it up to see how it would perform. I thought the boat was a bit under-powered with its single Mercruiser 5.0, but with the Bravo III outdrive it was planing quickly and flying over the swells at a good clip, with a light passenger load but a full tank of gas and lots of gear. My speedo is sketchy but I am pretty sure I was doing over 35 mph.

I found the boat overall extremely comfortable for sleeping (aft berth) and preparing meals in the spacious galley.

I was scared to try the shower as I don't fully understand how the drain works. There is a switch on the shower wall the lights up when turned on but I cannot hear the discharge pump come on. I am assuming that the discharge pump is in the forward bilge under the step. I am worried that if this pump is toast, the shower water will back up and I will not be able to get rid of it easily. I thought maybe the shower water just went into the forward bilge and then got pumped overboard by the bilge pump. I pretty sure there is a separate pump though. What happens is this is not working? Does the shower drain just back up? Any ideas on repairs or a source for a replacement pump?

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

The red shower light is the shower sump and drains the water from the floor of the head. If the switch lights-up you know the ciruit to the switch is working. If you don't hear the pump, then I would guess either there is an electrical issue between the switch and the pump, or the pump itself is dead. I would think you would hear it. You could fill the drain with water until it starts to overflow the drain a little, then hit hte pump. If it goes down it works, if not, then you only have a little water to clean up. As to WHERE the shower sump pump is located on a 1990 2700, I'm sure someone else could advise.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Commander

Does this same switch also operate the overhead lamp in the head??? The only switch that I have is for the lamp.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Admiral

Nope..the shower sump in your boat is automatic at the sump..there is a float switch that kicks on when there is enough water in the box..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwell8962 View Post
Does this same switch also operate the overhead lamp in the head??? The only switch that I have is for the lamp.
My apologies, you never mentioned the lighted switch turns on the overhead light in the cabin. Obviously they wouldn't use the same switch for both teh light and the shower sump pump. Though I'm surprised they used a lighted switch for the Light Switch, since it's usually fairly obvious whether the light switch is on or off and wouldn't normally require a lighted switch to indicate such. I'm used to seeing lighted switches to indicate whether something like the pressure water pump or shower sump is on or off.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Thanks for the replies. My SCR has a separate, non-lighted switch for the light. I noticed that I left the pump switch in the on position for a week once with the battery switch on, but if it runs on a float switch I guess this shouldn't matter. I guess this also answers my question about why I can't hear the pump when the switch is on.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Admiral

try this to be sure...turn the switch on and pour about a half gallon of water into the drain...you should hear the pump cycle a few times....if not...then the switch or the pump isn't working and yes..it should be located in the fwd bilge and under the steps...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Lt. JG

My 97' 2700 SCR does not have a float on the sump. You have to flip the switch on and off when needed. It is loud so you would definately hear it. Mine is located under the hatch in the cabin at the cave entrance.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Lucky View Post
My 97' 2700 SCR does not have a float on the sump. You have to flip the switch on and off when needed. It is loud so you would definately hear it. Mine is located under the hatch in the cabin at the cave entrance.
That is how mine works, how it sounds and where it is located on my 97 2800 SCR as well.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Ensign

Do you have any manuals ? I just bought a 1990 2700 SCR and can't find any manuals. If you have any I would be glad to pay you to copy and send to me or post and I can download. Any help would be appreciated !! BJ 1990 2700 SCR 5.7L (350 chevy) FWC Alpha 1 , A/C
Old 11-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmuteman View Post
Do you have any manuals ? I just bought a 1990 2700 SCR and can't find any manuals. If you have any I would be glad to pay you to copy and send to me or post and I can download. Any help would be appreciated !! BJ 1990 2700 SCR 5.7L (350 chevy) FWC Alpha 1 , A/C
Not sure who you are addressing in this 4 year old thread but one of these folks are no longer with us.

Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmuteman View Post
You've already started your own post requesting information on manuals. In addition hi-jacking threads is frowned upon, as is resurrecting 4 year old threads.

Closed Thread