Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Sea Trial of '96 2400 SCR - things to check for?

We have an offer in on a 1996 2400 SCR, and will do a sea trial in a week or two. We are just waiting on some consistently above freezing temps in Minnesota before putting it in the water. The engine is a 5.7 Mercruiser with an alpha 1. Engine has 150 hours on it. I understand that the carburator was recently rebuilt. I'm getting a compression test done on the engine just make sure it is solid.

The underside is immaculate. I think I found 1 small chip in the gelcoat. No bottom paint, so I believe it's been stored on a trailer a lot of it's life. There are a few hairline cracks in the gelcoat around the windshield, but very, very minor.

Are there any things that are common issues with this model boat that I should make sure I check for?

Is there a common checklist that you know of that I should do? This is my second boat (new boater last year) and this is an upgrade, so I know a bit about what to look for, but wouldn't call myself an expert yet. Due to the boat condition, I am foregoing a boat survey.

Thoughts... suggestions?

Thank you.
Rob

robschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Nothing special about this model regarding issues. If you don't already have one get a handheld IR temp sensor and measure the exhaust manifolds, elbows, and several point on the engine. All should be < 160F. Use a dead blow hammer to check for soft spots in transom and engine stringers. Verify that all switches work correctly. Check for cracks in gas lines, remember that fill line cost $10 per foot and is about 10 foot long, at this age there is a good chance it will have small cracks and needs to be replaced.

This is just some things that come to mind. If you are unsure I would pay for a survey, a few hunderd is better than buying junk for thousands.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome aboard

Nothing special about this model regarding issues. If you don't already have one get a handheld IR temp sensor and measure the exhaust manifolds, elbows, and several point on the engine. All should be < 160F. Use a dead blow hammer to check for soft spots in transom and engine stringers. Verify that all switches work correctly. Check for cracks in gas lines, remember that fill line cost $10 per foot and is about 10 foot long, at this age there is a good chance it will have small cracks and needs to be replaced.

This is just some things that come to mind. If you are unsure I would pay for a survey, a few hunderd is better than buying junk for thousands.
Great tips Mike! I have a list started of all of the mechanical items I can think of, but you added a few more to my list that I wouldn't have considered. Thank you!

Rob
Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Admiral

1996 with 150 hours = boat that sat a lot and did not get used.

When boats sit things rot and dry up. Make sure to run it for a while and look for leaky seals around hydraulic lines etc...

When was the last full service? Does the owner have records?

What type of head does it have? If a Vacuflush, plan to install a rebuild kit as soon as you buy it.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
1996 with 150 hours = boat that sat a lot and did not get used.

When boats sit things rot and dry up. Make sure to run it for a while and look for leaky seals around hydraulic lines etc...

When was the last full service? Does the owner have records?

What type of head does it have? If a Vacuflush, plan to install a rebuild kit as soon as you buy it.
More great tips...
It is a manual pump head - not vacuflush. The head is on my list to check out and give it some pumps to make sure it is doing its thing.

I am buying through a broker, but he says that the owner has good records of maintenance. It appears to have been well kept, but I agree that things have to be used to stay in good working condition. I will certainly look for any rotting and cracking around seals. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Don't totally trust maintenance records. The previous boat I bought had all maintenance records for both the boat and the trailer. I had receipts for new brakes, bearings, and other work just done on the trailer. Broke down the second time out towing the boat. I ended up putting new brakes and bearing. You could see the pitting on the bearings. Double check everything.
Ken Kwasniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Ensign

Got it. Thanks Ken! I'm bringing with me a friend who is a mechanical genius to help alert me of any issues with boat and trailer. I guess in the end, you can't check for everything, but I don't want to miss anything obvious that is going to be an immediate large ticket item.