Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Scr3000 swinging lots on anchor and swing mooring

Gents,

Whenever I hook up to a swing mooring or even on the anchor, I notice we swing 10x more than another boat in the area.

It's particularly bad in rough seas when the wind picks up (as it does a lot here).

Any one else noticed this and / or got a solution to my dizzy issues?

Thx

veuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Commander

Veuve,

My Maxum 3500 is the same, in fact I'm sitting here tonight on the mooring replying to you while spinning again due to the weather, but its our size above the water line that causes this, we have a top wind sale of a boat, it comes from the high roof, walk in cabins, and the height above the waterline, I always move faster than anyone on the pick or mooring. Jack Daniels helps but other than that its another factor of the style boat we own and can't really complain as I love the head room when down in the galley

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Admiral

Hey Guys look into a stern anchor setup. That is the easiest way to keep that sway back and forth from happening. This is used along with your bow anchor.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Admiral

Never put out a stern anchor in a mooring field ( I assume that is what is meant by "swing mooring") or if anchored near others. Everyone needs to swing together and a stern anchor will cause others to swing into your boat as the wind / tide changes.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Commander

Yup, same here on a 95 3200 SCR.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Admiral

Oh swingers:-)

Roger
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #7

Boats swing. This is not a Maxum specific concept. Some boat types swing more than others. Those with a keel tend to swing less. I used to think the same thing, but it is an optical illusion, particularly when you're ON the boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Lt. JG

One place where I anchor a lot most everyone puts out a stern anchor to stop the boats from swinging.
Ken Kwasniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Admiral

Thank you Ken:-)

Roger
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #10

Stern anchors are usefull for holding a tight position in a crowded anchorage. They are good for holding the stern to the beach. I've never seen anyone use a stern anchor simply to prevent the random swinging. If you go to a place where a lot of people want to be close to the beach so they can jump out in waist deep water, then a stern is the way to go. I don't like them. On a single anchor, the bow is in the wind and you get much less noise from wave-slap. when the waves come in sideways or an an angle they can 'bang' against the reverse chine and make it loud when you're sleeping at night.

You should be anchoring in a mooring field at all, never mind using a stern anchor. The rule of thumb is do what everyone around you is doing (within reason). If everyone is using 2 anchors (bow/stern) then you should as well. If everyone is using 2 anchors Bahama-moore style (very rare in the US), then do that. If everyone around you is on a single bower, then that is what you should do.

To avoid further complications, try to anchor with similar styled boats as they will tend to behave the same as you. In other words, try to avoid dopping inside a bunch of sailboats which are all using chain rode, if you're an express cruiser using anchor line.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote