Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default scr 3000 bilge pump wiring question

Hi
Opening up the boat for the 1st time. Checking the bilge pumps & they work just fine as well as the floats, as long as the batteries are on. Batteries off, they dont work. All other boats i have owned have been wired differently. They were wired with the pumps wired directly to the batteries & bypassing the battery switches. It always made sense to me , So no matter what you had bilge pump protection . From what i see here i must leave the boat powered up to have working bilge pumps. IS this right or am i missing something.
Thanks again
Timer

timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
Admiral

You have answered your own question. Some boats are hot wired and some are not. At least you know now instead of finding out the hard way. My 3000 is the same,I never turn the batteries off when the boat is in the water.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

Agreed. There are two schools of thought on this.

1) The Bilge Pumps should be able to be run regardless of whether the battery switch is on or off.

2) You need to be able to shut off ALL 12V for safety purposes. By connecting directly to the battery you will need to physically disconnect the leads on the battery in order to do 12v electrical work, or in the event of a 12V electrical fire.

IMHO, placing the pumps on the switch and leaving the batteries on is the safer of the two options. When I shut the 12v off, it is OFF everywhere. Incidentally, The Option you describe in your boat (which I listed as #2, is how it came from the factory).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks for the feedback guys. I might have to switch it. With my other boats i always leave the 120 shore power on & the charger on as well. < The battery switches are off. The charger ofcourse keeps the batteries charged in the event of a problem
Timer
timer is offline   Reply With Quote