Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Default SCR 2700 Ski Tow Hook

I want to add a ski tow hook to my 1996 SCR 2700, does anyone have a ski hook installed on their's, if so can you show a picture of where it is? Any help would be appreciated.

speilman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Admiral

first off ..welcome to the zoo...2nd...the 2700 isn't usually a ski boat....but if your insistant on installing a ski hook...be sure to add plenty of reinforcement behind the fiberglass ....that can be a weak area back there and you could find your skiier sitting in the water with a line/hook/chunk of fiberglass...

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by speilman1 View Post
I want to add a ski tow hook to my 1996 SCR 2700, does anyone have a ski hook installed on their's, if so can you show a picture of where it is? Any help would be appreciated.

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
cj
Lieutenant

I installed one on my 2400scr a few seasons ago with no issues so far. I mounted it in the middle, bottom of the aft wall about 4inches or so above the swim platform. I also used an approx. 10x6 inch piece of aluminum as a backing plate to spread the load. I have only used it to pull a fairly large double tube with kids and adults.
Cheers
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

I used to ski and knee-board behind my father's Bayliner 24 and 2750 back in the 80's. We used a bridle connected to the tie-down rings on the transom and connected the ski rope to that. If you're actually going to ski, you might want to have a connection point higher up on the transom. Otherwise the bridle and tow rope has a tendency to go through the big pillow-like wake directly out the back of the boat at slower speeds. Though it was more of an issue kneeboarding it did make crossing the wake difficult. (As if crossing the wake on a 28 ft. cruiser isn't difficult enough.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10951
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Captain

you also can use this on the tie-down rings (you can put 2 of them on a position above your swim platform on the right hight)

http://www.watersportwinkel.biz/Hand...ID=1284&Size=L

it works with some sort of a conductor (the red block has a wheel in the middle) that makes it easy for the skier to move from the left to the right without pulling the backside off the boat away

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
you also can use this on the tie-down rings (you can put 2 of them on a position above your swim platform on the right hight)

http://www.watersportwinkel.biz/Hand...ID=1284&Size=L

it works with some sort of a conductor (the red block has a wheel in the middle) that makes it easy for the skier to move from the left to the right without pulling the backside off the boat away

greatz, ed

Ed, That is the EXACT same one I used to use as a kid. I just didn't come across one in my search, but then I didn't look very hard. I figured after 25 years, they simply stopped making that style. That will require zero drilling, caulking and back plating.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks everyone for their comments. I currently use the red "pulley" device Ed talked about. It works well buy my tie down hooks are very low and drag the water causing a lot of spray and erratic turns. I was hoping to put a new ski hook above my swim platform but the fiberglass seems thin (on the order of 1/4"). I had plaNned on using a 4 ft long piece of 2x10 to support it. If anyone has advice, I would appreciate it.
Thanks
speilman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Captain

hi speilman,

indeed the back of the boat is thin, but if you can reach the curved sizes from the left and right side of the boat from the inside also, you can installate tie down eyes there with a plate of bended/curved steel at the inside behind it. what you also can do is install a big plate of wood (as big as possible) in the inside of the place where you want to install the ski hook, stick it with a very strong water resistent glue, or cover it with fiber and polyester, this will make the backside of your boat very strong ans suiteble to install the ski hook or tie down eyes.........these are my idees cant come up with anymore..........yeah yust one......buy a boat with a ski eye too.........

greatz, ed
Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Admiral

can you connect them to the cleats??...you have port and stbd aft cleats...is it possible to use them ??...I'm not a skiier so it's difficult to recommend something like this...but you do need to make sure the loads are spread out quite a bit so it doesn't rip the fiberglass out..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Captain

good idea SP, even that is possible with the ski line i suggested (just need a longer line from left to right)....

greatz, ed
Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

On my 2900, I pull a 3 man tube attached to the starboard cleat. Being the symmetrical person I am, I also looked for a center solution but in the end, it was not worth the hassle. FWIW
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #12

I'd use a Stainless Steel or Aluminum backing plate rather than a piece of PT board. Through bolt the ski hook, use an epoxy to seal the holes in the marine plywood of the transom, then 3m 4200 to caulk the holes, seat the ski hook and use a washer with nylon lock nuts behine the backplate. I've been told you don't need washers on a backplate. The PT board will still eventually get soft, especially if it goes through cycles of wet, then dry, then wet again. The bolts/nuts will eventually loosen over time as the wood softens. At best, you will find yourself re-tightening the nuts. This will eventually compromise the seal as the ski hook loosens and water will wick into the bolt holes. If the water works into the transom you will start rotting the transom from the inside over time. Essentially, I would stay away from using wood as a backing plate.