Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Repair "techniques" :-O

I had a few things I thought I'd share:

1. I had a somewhat significant mold/mildew problem in the interior carpeting in my boat. I was considering replacing all the interior carpeting. People on this site convinced me that it was probably worth the attempt at having a professional steam cleaner come out and take a crack at the carpets. I called one (whose coming tomorrow). In the meantime, I went to Home Depot and saw this "Zep Commercial Mold/Mildew Cleaner". It said all these things like "For use on Fiberglass (etc.)" and "Not-for-use" on a bunch of stuff. Anyway - I figured I had little to use to I soaked the spots on the carpet with it. When I looked a day later, the mold and mildew has disappeared! I was pretty shocked. Furthermore - though the stuff smelled like bleach, there was absolutely no discoloration to any of the carpeting! I highly, highly recommend! I'm still having the professional cleaner come - and the interior should look like NEW after this!

2. They sell little kits at home depot to repair chips in sinks and tubs. It's a two-part epoxy - but it's pretty thin. It's $5 for a little kit. It comes in a few different colors (i.e. white). It works *very* well on repairing minor chips and dings in your fiberglass/gelcoat. You can sand it, and buff it just like any Fiberglass epoxy repair kit you'd get in a marine store, however the color options are a bit better, it's more convenient, you can buy it in tiny quantities, and it's easier to use for very very small repairs (chips, etc).

3. The rub-rail that runs around my boat had suffered some serious damage as a result of rubbing against a dock. Once in a while, the rail would snag either just under, or over the dock, and when the boat would bounce around, it ripped the rail out and bent it all over the place. I tried bending the thing back into place - it was so tough I couldn't move it at all. Tried smashing it back into place with a mallet - no luck whatsoever.

Finally, I used a series of [long, bar] clamps and even a car jack to squeeze the rail back into shape. One clamp lifted the rail "up" - and I used a car-jack to put pressure on it. (So much pressure that I actually jacked the boat up a few inches - on the loose part of the rub rail - while two other clamps pushed "down" on the rail - bending it back into it's correct position.

The job definitely does not look "perfect", as there are still minor bends in the rail - but we're talking an eight of an inch or something, as opposed to being 4" above the swim platform! So - all-and-all, a good repair!

Click to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1613 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1614
(P.S. You can see in these pictures where I used to "Marine Fiberglass Repair Kit" - which was not color matched )
Attached Thumbnails
rubrail.jpg  

bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

BK, thanks for the update. I've got some mold in the headliner, I'm gonig to give that a shot. I'll update as well. Also hiring a professional cleaner to come in and see if they can fix it.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Admiral

The thing I'd be worried about with your rub rail repair would be water entering the engine bay thru the swimstep...using a hair dryer...heat up the rubber insert and gently pry it out of the track....then pull the screws out and rebed them with 4200...run a bead of 4200 down the ctr of the track that hides the screws..you may have to pull some of the screws out or replace some of them or the revits....then replace the rubber rubrail using said mallet working it back into the track...then put a bead along the top and bottom of the track.....that should seal it and prevent water from coming into the engine bay via the swimstep.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Lieutenant

What is "4200"?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

3M produces a line of marine of adhesives and sealants. You won't find them in most Home Stores, unless the store is in a town on or near an area heavily boated. You can find it at West Marine. It can be ordered from a variety of places online as well.

4000 UV: Used for above waterline exposed to UV light, typically for Deck and Rail hardware.
4200: Semi-removable adhesive and sealant
5200: Permanent adhesive and sealant.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Admiral

I used clear 4200 silicone sealant when I did mine....never had an issue with water inside the people tank after that....

and what shrew said..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I thought I'd pass this along to:

My carpet cleaner guy came and did a great job! He said the "Zep" stuff will get rid of the stains, but maybe not necessarily kill the mold/mildew, and certainly not prevent it from resurfacing.

He recommended using Microban disinfectant. It is the same stuff that they treat everything with that's advertized as such - an antimicrobial treatment that prevents the growth of mold, mildew, bacteria, fungii (even other stuff you wouldn't worry about on your boat, like AIDS, SARS, N1H1, etc.) (Most searches for "Microban" will indeed turn up products that are sold, treated with the coating). The stuff is around $30 a gallon - you can buy it online. He said you would want to particularly treat edges and corners - and like areas that are particularly prone to moisture and mold/mildew.

It seemed like a very wise investment!