Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Removing engine room vent covers?

Anybody know how the large vent covers , recessed in the side of many Maxums, are attached and are they easily removed? To be sure, I am talking about the long (5 feet) oval covers with the MAXUM logo cast in the fibreglass.

cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Commander

We have a 37 SCR. There is either 2 or 3 mounting points between the shield and the hull. The rear brackets are screwed from the outside and can be reached with a long philips head. The front bracket is screwed from the inside. On my starboard side I would have to remove the wall panels and upholstery to get the the screw. I would have to climb over the waste system to reach the port side.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks, that gives me something to look for. My concern was if it might also be glued . Access for me should be much simpler, my boat is a 3000 SCR and hopefully offers full access from in the engine area.
By the way, several years ago I kept a Cobalt in rack storage on Lake Norman and was able to use it a couple times a year. Enjoyed the area very much.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #4

Welcome Aboard Cobalt!!! About the only things glued on a boat are upholstry. Everything else has some sort of mechanical fastener. Otherwise things would eventually rattle themselves apart.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Well they are off the boat and guess what, a lot of glue, 5200 or very similar, and 9 screws (#12 x 1-3/4") per side. Starboard side, have to remove a panel in the mid cabin for 3 screws, other 6 screws reached from in engine area. Port side, 6 screws from engine area, 3 screws behind storage compartment below cockpit sink.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #6

I'm glad you found them all. 4000 is the best for that application when you replace it. 5200 is too permanent a bond, and isn't UV resistant. Great underwater, but not so much in direct sunline over time.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote