Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Propeller experience 2200 SR3

I have a 2004 SR3 with the 5.0 mpi and alpha drive, 1:62 ratio. 120 hours.

I generally cruise 32-34mph and have the kids on the tube/skis/wakeboard. I am experimenting with propellers. The boat came factory with an aluminum Mercruiser 14.25 x 21 and It cruises well but hole shot is miserable. I threw on an aluminum Mercruiser 14 x 19 prop and the hole shot is better and cruises a little higher in the rpm's. I am not interested in top speed with this boat.

I am looking for first hand experience with other 2200 SR3 owners with the 5.0 engine. Thanks!

64coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
Ensign

I just took my 05 2200 out for the first time this weekend. It came with a 21p 4 blade Solas prop and had a pretty terrible hole-shot with a full tank of fuel and 6 adults on board. I am going to try a 19p 4 blade that I have from my old boat. I think my tach might be off because I am showing 4600 RPM at 35MPH which is hard to believe unless the prop is junk. I would try a 19P 4 blade on your boat. It should give you more bite out of the hole for water sports and only lose a little bit on the top end. I will post results after I try the 19 4 blade this weekend.

Blue2200SR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

This should give you a baseline to work with:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...tor/#/step-one
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2200SR3 View Post
I just took my 05 2200 out for the first time this weekend. It came with a 21p 4 blade Solas prop and had a pretty terrible hole-shot with a full tank of fuel and 6 adults on board. I am going to try a 19p 4 blade that I have from my old boat. I think my tach might be off because I am showing 4600 RPM at 35MPH which is hard to believe unless the prop is junk. I would try a 19P 4 blade on your boat. It should give you more bite out of the hole for water sports and only lose a little bit on the top end. I will post results after I try the 19 4 blade this weekend.
Please let me know. Thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Ensign

My 2000 sr3 5.0l with alpha leg. Different ratio? 1:49? 19 inch Al three blade prop. I was considering 4 or 5 blade stainless prop but couldn't decide if 18 or 19 inch. I added a small hydrofoil to the leg - massive improvement to hole shot. Improved top end speed and stability. Stayed with the old 19inch Al - no need to pay for new prop yet.

Amassing result for small spend.
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

I don't suggest using foils on an outdrive. The hull gives the boat 'lift'. Trim tabs provide lift and transfer it to the hull via the transom. A Foil is giving extra lift on the outdrive. So you're essentially lifting the stern by putting upward force on the outdrive and transom assembly, which it is not designed to handle.

Proper prop sizing, drive and tab trim are the better answer.

does your boat have trim tabs? If not, I would look at proper propping and installing trim tabs.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel View Post
My 2000 sr3 5.0l with alpha leg. Different ratio? 1:49? 19 inch Al three blade prop. I was considering 4 or 5 blade stainless prop but couldn't decide if 18 or 19 inch. I added a small hydrofoil to the leg - massive improvement to hole shot. Improved top end speed and stability. Stayed with the old 19inch Al - no need to pay for new prop yet.

Amassing result for small spend.
You probably have the 5.0, 220 horsepower engine in the 20 foot boat. Its a whole different setup even the 1.49 drive ratio. Thanks though
Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I don't suggest using foils on an outdrive. The hull gives the boat 'lift'. Trim tabs provide lift and transfer it to the hull via the transom. A Foil is giving extra lift on the outdrive. So you're essentially lifting the stern by putting upward force on the outdrive and transom assembly, which it is not designed to handle.

Proper prop sizing, drive and tab trim are the better answer.

does your boat have trim tabs? If not, I would look at proper propping and installing trim tabs.
Yea I agree on the hydrofoil plate it is not necessary.

No trim tabs on the boat. I am looking at the revo 4, 19 pitch after reading little reviews out there.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
Ensign

Just wanted to give you guys some feedback, the Revo 4 19 pitch is a world of difference over the 21 aluminum 3 blade. The boat planes out in half the time and provides excellent power all over. Reverse takes noticeably more throttle but I've gotten used to it. I can also trim out more and get more of the boat out of the water when cruising. I don't push the boat so no speed reports but I'm very content with the Revo 4