Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Portable Generator

Hey All,

Question, noticed for AC to run on my 3000scr, both power lines need to be hooked up. Using a portable generator how do hook up? All I am seeing is the standard RV hookup on several different models. I was looking into the Honda 2k till I saw the recall.

MaximusBoatimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Admiral

You will need to make you own adapter cable to connect to a non marine generator and the shore power cable. Be sure the non marine generator is exhausted away and downwind from the cabin.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Lt. JG

You can buy a shore power splitter cable so you can hook up both feeds at once. Be careful not to overload the generator.
Jduncan99217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

What is running on the 2nd house circuit besides the A/C? You will need the following:

1) 1x30amp(male)-2x30amp(female) splitter.

2) 15amp(male)-30amp(female) connector for the generator.

This will allow you to connect the generator to both shorepower connections.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
What is running on the 2nd house circuit besides the A/C? You will need the following:

1) 1x30amp(male)-2x30amp(female) splitter.

2) 15amp(male)-30amp(female) connector for the generator.

This will allow you to connect the generator to both shorepower connections.

Oddly enough I cant start the port motor without house being engaged(both). I'm not sure if its wired correct after seeing that today noticed it while cleaning up the terminals at the dash.
MaximusBoatimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
Captain

A/C should only need one shore power connection. Line 2 if I recall
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Talking That how my 2800scr was setup from manufacture..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusBoatimus View Post
Oddly enough I cant start the port motor without house being engaged(both). I'm not sure if its wired correct after seeing that today noticed it while cleaning up the terminals at the dash.

My 2800scr original battery configuration share starboard battery with the house electronics ( I really do not know what were they thinking ) actually they did not think when they did that ... anyway, that means that to get your starboard engine running the house needs to be running too.. or the other way around :-) . I did not want to share any of my engine battery with the house so I add another set of battery for the the house only. I rather have my battery for the engines ready whenever I need to leave than have lights or music in the house.. so separate the house power from the engines.. The port side is different the battery only serves the portside engine.

Hopefully before this season I should be able to charge my house battery from the two alternators ( with my new battery isolator 2 alts 3 banks) and setting a switch that I could even use the house battery in an emergency if by any chance BOTH of my engine batteries went south ... I do not know how it could happen, but I want to be double sure I can start those engines when I am on the water .. some peace of mind ... and for the worse scenario I have a portable jumper battery :-) .
marcucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Default Marinco splitter ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
A/C should only need one shore power connection. Line 2 if I recall
100 % right...

I used a 50 amp to (2) 30 amps marinco spliter connected to line 1 and line 2 with an adapter from 50 to 30 to connect your regular marine power cable to the shore power .. I would not run your water heater , microwave and ac all at once.. your may strip the breaker at the marina :P

Good luck ...
Old 04-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

@k will not be enough power for a/c. I bought the predator 3500 from Harbor Freight and it runs everything great, It's an electric start gen/inverter which is very quiet. Runs about 14 hrs on a tank of gas 4gal. It's actually made with Honda parts. At around $700 you can't go wrong. It comes with the 3prong outlet that you can plug shore power right in.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

sorry. 2k will not be enough power for a/c, unless maybe you have a 900 btu a/c.
I have 1600 in my 3200SCR.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt214 View Post
sorry. 2k will not be enough power for a/c, unless maybe you have a 900 btu a/c.
I have 1600 in my 3200SCR.
My Honda 2K ran the 6000 BTU A/C in my 2800 just fine. It runs the forward A/C in my current vessel (also 6000 BTU) just fine. It won't run the main A/C in my cabin (16000 BTU).

I believe that can be fixed by installing an Easy Start system to address the initial load at start-up, which is the actual issue.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Lieutenant

Default 3500 hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt214 View Post
@k will not be enough power for a/c. I bought the predator 3500 from Harbor Freight and it runs everything great, It's an electric start gen/inverter which is very quiet. Runs about 14 hrs on a tank of gas 4gal. It's actually made with Honda parts. At around $700 you can't go wrong. It comes with the 3prong outlet that you can plug shore power right in.
I also have the 3500 from harbor freight and It does run everything perfectly , but the problem I found is "weight " . I have to set it up at the swim platform while running the generator avoiding CO ( I do have two (2) CO detector in the cabin for the just in case ). I am having trouble to get on plane with the generator (which is moved to the cockpit when in move) , cooler, fresh water tank full + 10 more gallons of fresh water on two containers + 4 people. because its no easy to move to the front of the boat while in move. With the 2K generator you can set it under the table in the galley while in movement .. weight distribution. I even run a small fan pointing to the generator exhaust just to move whatever smoke comes out it .. ( you may me able to see it on the picture) .. I do not want to be part of the newspaper tragic news...

I love my 3500 generator from HF specially with the electric starter , but it is heavy (100 lbs).

I now I am thinking to add the Dinghy and the 9.9 engine to the swim platform ... no good .. more weight..lets see how it does .. or maybe I may need to start playing with 4 blade props .. hopefully nope...
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20181007-215452_Instagram.jpg