Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Port Light Repair or Replace?

Hi All,

Is it easier to repair or replace the three port lights in my 96 SCR 2400? They are all in varying states of disrepair including missing screens, broken glass pivots and screw downs that don't move....

I would lean toward repairing the glass but not sure what to use to loosen the screw downs. Also, what do I do about the screens? The parts list for my boat says they are 4X14 but are these made by Pompanette/Bomar? Can I order directly from them? I went to their site and I didn't see an exact 4x14 window but I assume that mine match one of their windows.

Thanks,
Jon

jpr993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Hi jpr993, Welcome Aboard!!!

I guess it would depend on the nature of the damage. In order to replace a screen? It would be easier to fine screens or have custom screens made. However, if the portlight isn't closing properly, then if you can't find the hardware, replace it. Replacing is going to be a big job. I would start with some pentrating oil, and time and patience to get the screw downs and hinges working properly first and go from there.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Shrew. I figured a full replace was a big job. I am going to put some elbow grease into this and see if I can loosen the screw downs with some penetrating oil... some CLR should get the rust stains off.

Jon
Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr993 View Post
Thanks Shrew. I figured a full led tubes replace was a big job. I am going to put some elbow grease into this and see if I can loosen the screw downs with some penetrating oil... some CLR should get the rust stains off.

Jon
Great work done jon. Replacement was never an easy task. Thumps up to you..
Stevejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Ensign

Quick update. I thought I had a missing screen but found the plastic frame in the storage under the v-berth. A little marine adhesive (3M 4000) and some new fibreglass screen and that job was done! Also, I did get out the CLR and cleaned up the port light frames nicely. (Not perfect but it is a 16 year old boat after all.) The only thing that will need to be replaced is some of the smoke lenses have broken hinges and there is no way to repair. I just need to measure and get the right size from Pompanette!.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I'll bring up an old topic. One of my windows needs to be replaced, according to the parts catalog it is window number 61026 4 X 14 D.WHITE PORT LITE 1.625 (HEAD)
But I'm confused by the dimensions, the old window has a size of 162x416 (3 3/8x16 3/8) and the new one has a size of 165x419 (6 1/2x16 1/2), is that normal?

And the second question is why replacing a window is a difficult procedure? as @shrew wrote above
Quote:
Replacing is going to be a big job
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_15.png   Screenshot_16.png   Screenshot_17.png  

Ivan Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote