Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Yep the offset screw driver is the best tool to reach the screw. Still don't know why Maxum configured the light and stanchion so close to each other?

Thanks for the heads up Jim, good point about LED not meeting NAV Regs. The wife and I nearly got hit last year by a boat that must have been running LED nav lights cuz we didn't see him until he cut our bow at 30+ kts. That crap pisses me off cuz we are in 2700scr (big enough to see) with our lights on cruising at 8-10kts

MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRiver View Post

The wife and I nearly got hit last year by a boat that must have been running LED nav lights cuz we didn't see him until he cut our bow at 30+ kts. That crap pisses me off cuz we are in 2700scr (big enough to see) with our lights on cruising at 8-10kts
Which vessel was the stand-on vessel and which was the give way vessel in that situation?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Well it’s interesting that you ask. The vessel in question did approach of vessel from my STBD bow crossing in front of me. My issue is with his speed at night on our lake. We have a night time speed limit of 20mph or less depending conditions and framers good judgement and respect for other boats. So the book answer is I was the give way vessel. The vessel was clearly exceeding the night time speed limit and never even noticed my vessel.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #14

I'm glad nobody was hurt. I would feel uncomfortable running at night without the radar on. I go out on most Friday nights. Often, it's after sunset. The river I have to head down is narrow and there are alot of guys fishing in small utility boats. Many of them don't have lights. Between the boats, unlit markers, and mooring balls, it can sometimes get hairy.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green, navigation light, starboard