Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Default microwaves

Ou r 2001 29'scr ,we just purchased, had the microwave removed.We are looking for a microwave that will fit into the alotted space.All so far we found to be too deep-----any help in tracking one down? Thanks!

jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #2

Hi Jude, welcome to the sight. I have one, but I also removed it. I'll take a look at the make/model and take some measurements and get back to you.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I have a 2001 2900 SCR and had the microwave puke on me last season. I spent the entire off-season figuring out no one makes 0.6 cubic foot-sized microwaves anymore (must not be much of a demand for that tiny size). 0.6 cubic foot sized microwaves also mean a height of no more than 9-3/4", as that is the size opening I have on Endless Summer in my microwave space. All the 0.6 cubic foot-sized units I was able to find (via Internet searches) were "no longer available", etc... I DID found one back east somehwere (can't remember exactly where) but it was more than $300.

So instead, I bought a better-quality unit than the exact replacement, $300+ unit was, @ Wal-Mart for $44. It measured 10-1/8" tall (depth and width measurements weren't a problem for me) and proceeeded to cut-away the "lip"-opening with a friend's Dremel tool. In addition to cutting away 1/4", I removed the plastic "feet" on the bottom (front) of the unit and grinded-down the raised, rear protusions to get me the additional 1/8" of an inch I needed to make it fit. Again, I had a height problem, depth and width weren't a big deal and I'm pretty sure all microwave spaces are the same throughout all 2001 2900 SCRs.

Talk about a PROJECT! I still need to either paint the cut-away portion of the wood or put a nice trim-molding to make it look good, but I'd have to say this was the most frustrating replacement project I've had to do since I owned Endless Summer. Frustrating because I couldn't find an exact replacement microwave oven anywhere (other than the over-priced $300+ unit). But the key for me was trying to find a microwave oven than was no more than 9-3/4" high/tall.

I posted some pictures of it, before and after for your review but can't seem to put a video I uploaded to YouTube of the "finished project" here on the forum. Here's the link to it; . The pictures I have aren't the best but if the video link opens to YouTube you'll see what I did.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
DefectiveMicrowaveOven;1-18-11.jpg   Galley shot of Endless Summer.JPG   ShotFromV-Berth,lookingAft of Endless Summer.jpg  
Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Ensign

Jeff, we think alike. I bought the same microwave from walmart.was over ruled in my decision to cut to make it fit. just yesterday we shopped locally, looking for a smaller dimension unit to no avail. Purchased a very small toaster oven (B lack and Decker). There seems to be plenty of space around it for ventilation . Stuck it in place temporarily yesterday,had it on for 20 minutes---seems okay. Plus, plan to line surface of space with fire proof insulation .Might also install small fan in rear. Will proceed cautiously-----ed
jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

We couldn't survive without a microwave this season. Just too many conveniences we missed with it gone, the Admiral reminded me of it many times. Last year there were many times after it died that we wished we had one, so THIS year we bit the bullet and took on the project with this larger, 0.7 cubic foot unit (10-1/8" high). Unless you hunker-down and look at the wood I had to cut away with the Dremel Tool, it's not noticeable.

Odd thing is, the moderator of another Maxum Forum that's no longer on-line (Jim Clausen) had a 3000 SCR he was selling off (piece-by-piece) that I had arranged to buy the microwave (only) from. The microwave he had in this 3000 SCR was an exact duplicate, and I could get it for $100 plus shipping. Jim lives in Florida and there was a great article written on him and his family years ago in a popular boating magazine of a cruise he took his four older kids on, on a 46 SCB he used to own... I think that boat was called Summer School. Anyway, I acted too late on the microwave he had as he eventually sold the 3000 SCR off to a marina in the SW USA. All they said they wanted from Jim's 3000 SCR was the outdrives and motors and they told me they crushed the rest of the boat. Talk about a waste, but I should have acted earlier I suppose. It was at that time that we decided we'd better get the $44 Wal-Mart one and start the cutting process on the opening.

Again, this was a doozy of a project for me... one I don't want to ever do again.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
Ensign

With your micro wave replacement did anyone drill ventilation holes. My 2004 2900 SE has no ventilation
Glenfwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfwilliams View Post
With your micro wave replacement did anyone drill ventilation holes. My 2004 2900 SE has no ventilation
Man you dug up an old one, these guys haven't posted since 2012 to any threads.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Look at my pics i put a micro in my 32 scr looks good Walmart job
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Default Fitted Frigidaire model in 2800SCR

Fitted Frigidaire model in 2800SCR two years ago. (See Pic)
Attached Thumbnails
file-180.jpg  
Hamblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum - gmc60's Album: FOCUS II - Picture

gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote