Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Maxum 2400 SC 2006

I am helping a friend in a potential purchase. She has a 350MAG/Bravo III package and seems to be in decent shape. 400 hrs, Camper canvas, cockpit sink, porta-potty with pump-out accessory, Garmin 178C GPS, galvanized trailer and what appears(at least by the ad) seems to be relatively clean and taken care of.

Please tell me your thoughts on this boat.

Nehalennia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Admiral

No one can judge a boat for you without seeing it themselves. If you are uncertain have it surveyed.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
No one can judge a boat for you without seeing it themselves. If you are uncertain have it surveyed.
Well it's 500 miles away so I was just trying to get some opinions of things to look for or general opinions about ride or whatever. I agree that one can only be for certain once one checks it out in person.

www.vikingbay.co
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Admiral

Didn't mean to come across so brutal but from your opening sentence it sounded like you were a boat owner yet asking general what to look for.

So to start basic condition, seats no tears, no major gouges in fiberglass, no butchered wiring. Look for signs of water in engine oil, outdrive lube. Get a hand held IR thermal sensor and check temps of manifolds, t-stat housing looking for hot spots (>160).

I would expect with that engine/drive package the boat should have enough power with 4 people but be slow to plane with 6. So it depends on what your friend is looking for performance wise.

I am sure there are others with this package that will chime in.

In the end a survery is still a good idea. Just read some recent posts of folks who recently bougth and have uncovered issues shortly after.

Good luck

Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Ok, You didn't come off harsh. I may have come off a little vanilla. I'm on my 4th boat. I agree with the generalities of your advice of what to look for. I own a marine accessory company and have done many modifications on my own boat along with others including tons of custom work. What I guess I'm looking for from the Maxum crowd is your guys opinion of this boat specifically. I think the engine/drive package is perfect for for this size of boat.

If anyone here knows this boat and it's handling, riding characteristics, I'd appreciate it. I also believe a survey would be a good option.

Thanks Mike.

Todd

www.vikingbay.co
Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Captain

goto ebay and search for same boat and compare pictures and conditions.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascavone View Post
goto ebay and search for same boat and compare pictures and conditions.
Thank you, but I am looking for first hand experience from you guys that may have owed the boat and can give some anecdotal reports.

www.vikingbay.co
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Captain

better question is what usually is wore out on a 7 year old boat?

Maxum, searay, bayliner, four winns, all seam to be the same when they get older and all the same stuff needs replacement.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Lieutenant

This one has 400 hrs. Is in pretty decent shape, comes with a trailer. My friend bought it yesterday. I'm happy for them. I'll see if he wants to join up here.

www.vikingbay.co
Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Todd,

I have the same boat, with the same engine and drive, the same cockpit sink, and the same head arrangement. Mine has but 200 hours on it.

It is a great little boat and with that power package I'd recommend it to anyone (of course. LOL). Ride wise - really depends where your friends do their boating but I can safely say that if they are boating in choppy conditions their first order of business is to install trim tabs if the boat doesn't already have them. Even with 6 or 7 aboard it get on plane pretty quick.

We love ours, it's been a great boat for how we use it.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Lieutenant

We too have an '06 2400 SC3 w/ 350 Mag and B3. This may take a bit, so buckle in.

Awesome boat.
22 degree deadrise handles the big waves well.
B3 makes docking in close quarters a lot easier.
Tall and roomy cuddy. Could use a couple of side vent windows.
Nice anchor locker.
Definitely likes trim tabs. We have the smart tabs. Currently running only one strut on each tab instead of two. May want to consider electric or Bennett with indicators.
Pedestal seats need love. I'm looking into having the bottom pieces welled together (came riveted together).
Hinge for the engine wasn't fastened properly.
You'll want to remove the back jump seat and clean under there.
The under floor locker latch needs love. Re-worked it and it still doesn't function properly.
The bow lights should be changed out to LEDs. I kept blowing out bulbs and they are a PITA to change.
CO detector and Mercathode run the battery down.
Probably want to change out the head unit and speakers. The "input" was wired bassackwards.
Get the Bravo impeller changed. Cheap insurance.
Change the anodes. Make sure there is one on the prop shaft. Magnesium for fresh water. Aluminum for salt water.
Get some hanging cup holders.
Pump-out porta-potty isn't would the trouble. I disconnected the hoses and dump/rinse so it's totally cleaned out.
Watch out with the back seat insert over the walk-way. The transom flexes and the door opens when I go WOT to get on plane. Good way to lose an in-law, but Karma's a bitch.
Dan relocated his battery(s). Factory location is a PITA.
Once in a while the Tach needs a smack to read correctly.
Maxums were a bit of an upgrade over Bayliners, but not built as well as Sea Rays. I've had a few WTF were they thinking moments, but that can happen with any boat.

Is yours a salty? We may be selling ours since we've been spending all our free time on our 3200 SCR on Lake Michigan this season. Would be nice to know what they are going for.
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Admiral

Pretty much my experiences also, AS. My additions in RED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSober View Post
We too have an '06 2400 SC3 w/ 350 Mag and B3. This may take a bit, so buckle in.

Awesome boat.
22 degree deadrise handles the big waves well. It does pretty well, but we were out in 2'/3' chop last weekend and got hammered trying to run on plane even with the tabs fully down.
B3 makes docking in close quarters a lot easier. Sure does.
Tall and roomy cuddy. Could use a couple of side vent windows. Not sure I'd call it tall, rather, tall enough. LOL. And yeah, some side vents would be nice.
Nice anchor locker. Definitely, though there's not really anyplace to hang onto if the boat is bobbing around in deep swells.
Definitely likes trim tabs. We have the smart tabs. Currently running only one strut on each tab instead of two. May want to consider electric or Bennett with indicators. Mine has Bennetts. If I were to do them again on a boat that spends most of it's time on a trailer or in dry stack, I'd install electric (Lenco's). It is very, very difficult to get to the hydraulic fittings down in the deep recesses of the engine compartment. I wished my arms were a foot longer.
Pedestal seats need love. I'm looking into having the bottom pieces welled together (came riveted together). Haven't had that problem with mine.
Hinge for the engine wasn't fastened properly. Haven't had that problem with mine.
You'll want to remove the back jump seat and clean under there. Definitely gets grundgy under there if it isn't covered.
The under floor locker latch needs love. Re-worked it and it still doesn't function properly. Haven't had that problem with mine.
The bow lights should be changed out to LEDs. I kept blowing out bulbs and they are a PITA to change. I replaced mine with I bought the boat. PITA to get to, but I applied some dielectric grease to the bulb contacts and haven't had an issue since.
CO detector and Mercathode run the battery down. CO det and Mercathode are both run off my battery switch, so no issue with discharge when the switch is off, as it it when the boat is on the trailer.
Probably want to change out the head unit and speakers. The "input" was wired bassackwards. Didn't have that issue, but the CD player didn't work when we bought it so I installed a new head unit.
Get the Bravo impeller changed. Cheap insurance. Agreed. Again though, requires longer arms than I have.
Change the anodes. Make sure there is one on the prop shaft. Magnesium for fresh water. Aluminum for salt water. Uh huh. And be careful with the anodes on the tilt/trim rams. The little bolts tend to break.
Get some hanging cup holders. I know, right? I mean, what WERE they thinking? Oh, right - they weren't. I installed one right next to the sink (I think newer 2400's came with one there factory installed). The port side, aft, is woefully lacking.
Pump-out porta-potty isn't would the trouble. I disconnected the hoses and dump/rinse so it's totally cleaned out. I've never tried to pump ours out. It's been used exactly twice in the 5 years we've had the boat. I remove/rinse also.
Watch out with the back seat insert over the walk-way. The transom flexes and the door opens when I go WOT to get on plane. Good way to lose an in-law, but Karma's a bitch. Is a "feature". I think the designer(s) had a sense of humor because not only will the door not stay closed, nor will it remain open. Some recessed mount magnets now keep mine open, but the automatic opening feature remains.
Dan relocated his battery(s). Factory location is a PITA. Total PITA. Nuff said.
Once in a while the Tach needs a smack to read correctly. No issues with mine, but I lost the volt gauge just last weekend.
Maxums were a bit of an upgrade over Bayliners, but not built as well as Sea Rays. I've had a few WTF were they thinking moments, but that can happen with any boat. True.

Is yours a salty? We may be selling ours since we've been spending all our free time on our 3200 SCR on Lake Michigan this season. Would be nice to know what they are going for.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Lieutenant

We forfeited our deposit on a new '05 Formula 260SS. For less that half the price we got the '06 2400 SC3 and the Maxum had the tallest cuddy I'd come across.

We had some "exciting" experiences on Lake Michigan last year. Could have been the distance between the waves or the Smart tabs doing their thing, but three owners of 29' cruisers were like "That sucked! You out there in that!?"

I replaced my volt gauge too, only to find that the manufacture will rebuild them for you for a lot less cost.

Oh, the plastic blue wing bolts on the Bravo pump you need to pull and reinstall to winterize it... Good luck with those
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Lieutenant

This is what I was hoping for. Thanks guys. This is great feedback for my buddy. I can help him sort out most if not all of this stuff.
I may have forgot to mention this one has a Heatercraft hydronic heater. I have this that I installed in my boat and it makes it really nice for fall, winter and spring cruising.
Thanks again.

www.vikingbay.co
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Dan, what mooring cover did you get? Thinking of getting one myself.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Admiral

Glad we could help, Todd. Hope your friend enjoys the boat. Steer him to this site if he's interested.

AS - mine came with the bimini, front and side curtains, and the slanted rear enclosure, but not a mooring cover. Previous owner kept it stored with all the canvas up.

I have a full cover for it, think automobile cover, that covers it from stem to stern (including the swim platform) which I use every single time I put the boat back on the trailer and of course during the off season. Does an amazing job of keeping the inside of the boat clean and protects everything from UV rays. I found only one supplier that had the full cover (it is made specifically for this boat with the SP) and it was a bit spendy, but one look at the interior of our now 9 year old boat justifies the expense; it really hasn't aged a bit.

Dan
Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Thanks guys. I hope he joins too. If so, you'll see more of me too :-).

www.vikingbay.co
Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #18
TMF
Ensign

Yes, I did purchase the boat.... Now the fun begins.......... Thanks for all the info on what works and what doesn't. I totally agree with the transom door.....WTF were they thinking..... I'm sure I'll discover all kinds of things that need a little German re engineering.
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #19
Admiral

TMF, welcome aboard, now let the fun begin

Keep us posted (questions and experience) as you're adventure continues

Mike
Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #20
Admiral

TMF, welcome aboard, now let the fun begin

Keep us posted (questions and experience) as your adventure continues

Mike