Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #141
Admiral

Best of luck making it through the storm.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 AM   #142
Lt. Commander

Hoping you and others are able to fair well thru this storm. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #143
Captain

Not looking so good. The ropes held up, but the pilings pulled out. The floating dock is still tied to the other side of the boat. Can't do anything till the storm lets up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #144

Oh man!! Hang in there. Wave action looks decent. Hopefully she's not getting the snot kicked out of her.

We're thinking of you and the rest of our members impacted by Irma.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #145
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
Not looking so good. The ropes held up, but the pilings pulled out. The floating dock is still tied to the other side of the boat. Can't do anything till the storm lets up.

Sorry to hear that but more important is you are safe and it doesn't sound like your house is being flooded.

Mike
Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #146
Commander

Glad to hear you are safe and boat is still floating and moored in a semi controlled manner.

Took my canvas and glass down. Double lines and a few extra fenders.

Harbortown marina on Merritt Island. Water about two feet higher than normal, just below the dock boards. Two small waterspots/tornadoes (radar rotation indicated) passed within five miles.

No issues wte of a porthole leak in the aft stateroom's shower. Drained right to the sump and was pumped over board.

Boat does need a good cleaning. Tons of mango leaves stuck all over it - but that's a job for tomorrow, or when the admiral comes down.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #147
Captain

Once everything settled and the water went down turned out there wasn't as much damage as I thought. Looks like the wave action pulled 2 of the pilings out, and the last 2 pilings couldn't handle it on their own. Ripped the lag bolt out on one and broke a shackle on another. One bump/crack on the curved part of the port aft quarter.

Oddly, one of the pilings that pulled out is stuck in the river bottom 100 feet from where it originally was. You can see it in the left of the picture.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #148
Admiral

Good to hear from you, glad things aren't too bad.

Mike
Old 09-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #149

Weird. It almost looks like both the boat and the dock would have fared better if the boat were anchored ways out in front of the dock. The pics didn't look like the wave action was that great (though pics and video tends to flatten that stuff out). Every time we're in big water we take pics and video. Then when we look at it, it looks like a fairly calm day.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #150
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Weird. It almost looks like both the boat and the dock would have fared better if the boat were anchored ways out in front of the dock. The pics didn't look like the wave action was that great (though pics and video tends to flatten that stuff out). Every time we're in big water we take pics and video. Then when we look at it, it looks like a fairly calm day.
Yea, it's weird how calm it looks in the first pics. I went out that night before during the height of it, it was too dark to get pics, but the waves were higher then. It had already calmed down a lot by the first pic. But water was still to high to get out to the boat. I had no idea if there was any walkway left under that water, and I could just see me falling through, getting cut up on broken screw, then getting swept downriver by the current. So, I waited. [emoji4]

Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #151

SMart move. I've walked docs on the tail end of a hurricane. Those docks were very wide with a lot of pilings, so you couldn't wander off the side easily. We pounded the boards in front of us with boat poles to make sure there were no missing boards. The boards don't break, they either lift or stay in place.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #152
Captain

Got a chain around one piling and Shore power restored now. On Saturday going to try and jet the other piling back to vertical and get a second chain on that piling. Then I need to figure out how to get the ramp back on top of the dock.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #153
Captain

Got the ramp back on the dock, took 4 people. If I had finished my latest project first, would have been much easier.

Got my hands on a free boat (it was included with the trailer). Built myself a crane barge. I just finished rigging it. I designed to be able to lift about 2000 lbs, but pilings weigh about 6-700, so should be okay.

There may be an issue with flotation, so, I may add outriggers with 55 gallon barrels for extra flotation on the bow, but we will see once she's in the water.

Right now I have the cable cranked down against the trailer. Nothing moved, which is a good primary test.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 AM   #154
Admiral

Interesting, does the boat have an engine or some counter weight on the backside?

Mike
Old 10-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #155
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Interesting, does the boat have an engine or some counter weight on the backside?
Nope, no motor. That is why I'm thinking I may need to add outriggers for more flotation.

I keep laughing at myself, that thing looks so redneck. But I only have $200 invested in it, and if I can set my own pilings, that saves me many thousands of dollars.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #156
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
Nope, no motor. That is why I'm thinking I may need to add outriggers for more flotation.

I keep laughing at myself, that thing looks so redneck. But I only have $200 invested in it, and if I can set my own pilings, that saves me many thousands of dollars.

Definitely redneck dock installer.

But no one can argue saving thousands. The real question is what next redneck thing do you do with her? Hold my beer and watch this.

Mike
Old 10-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #157
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Definitely redneck dock installer.

But no one can argue saving thousands. The real question is what next redneck thing do you do with her? Hold my beer and watch this.
Not sure what's next. We'll see how she performs in her primary role, and got from there. May also get used hauling debris such as tires up out of the river.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #158

Keep an eye on the stern when lifting. The sharp V on the bow will cause the boat to roll once the stern is lifted out of the water. You can stand in the center of a canoe. EVer try sitting on the deck plate on the bow or stern of a canoe? Immediate inversion.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #159
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Keep an eye on the stern when lifting. The sharp V on the bow will cause the boat to roll once the stern is lifted out of the water. You can stand in the center of a canoe. EVer try sitting on the deck plate on the bow or stern of a canoe? Immediate inversion.
That's a good point. Another reason for outriggers. Also I will be putting a board across a few feet back from the crane with holes in either end for spudding the boat in place. That should help with roll some as it would bind up on the spuds.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #160
Captain

Floated it the other day, and it will definitely need some more flotation on the bow. Picked up about 300 pounds, but the bow was getting close to going under. 2 barrels on outriggers should do it.