Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Hot Water Heater

Hey guys, picked up my 2002 2900 scr a couple of days ago and love it. Hopefully some great times ahead enjoying it. Was cleaning it up a bit and wanted to drain the fwt so i opened up the cold side of faucets until water stopped coming out. Then opened up the hot knob of the transom shower and the pink antifreeze came pouring out so I"m assuming the po did not use the hot water heater. Hopefully hot water heater works. Had a pretty bad smell to it. My question is when I start to fill the fwt, does the hot water tank fill up automatically? Is there a bypass valve somewhere? I haven't read completely through all the manuals so not sure how many gallons my hot water tank is. Any other advice is on this area is greatly appreciated. I did a search in forums for this and really didn't find a specific answer.

TIA,
Wayne

2900cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Captain

hook the garden hose up to the back of the boat and run all the hot/cold line to flush the pink out and get rid of the smell.

the hot water will fill with the hose or the galley 12v pump.

there is also a drain down valve on the side of the water heater.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Lieutenant

The relief valve on the water heater may be open too.

Mine got the dreaded rotten egg/sulfur smell too. Pour a bit of bleach into FWT tank while filling it up then run some thru the water heater. Let sit for a few hours and flush FWT thru the hot and cold water again.

btw - if your shore power supply is only 20 amp, you will have to turn off the A/C and microwave while the water heater is engaged or you may trip the marina's circuit breaker.
AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the response Sober. Is the releif valve you talk of different than the drain valve pascavone replied about? If so, would you know where it is located on my boat, 2002 2900 scr. My shore power is 30 amp, I have two plugins located on side of boat. Got the boat out for the first time this weekend and hooked water hose up to flush out lines, then filled fwt up half way, then found I have another issue. Water pump wasn't working so now I don't have any way of emptying tank until I can figure out what's wrong with pump. Didn't have time to look at it this weekend, just wanted to enjoy being out on lake.
Thanks for the replies.
2900cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
Captain

the relief valve is a high pressure pop-off like the water heater in your house, this should never be touched. it gets rushy on a boat, and will leak , but you can see that.

the drain down is a gray plastic faucet type on the side of the water heater, that is that port side box your step on next to your batteries.

the two plugs on the side are, one for the boat, and one for the A/C unit.

The water heater dose not heat unless your connected to shore power, and the breaker is ON in the cabin power panel.

The water pump has a pressure regulator switch on it, you can turn on the pump switch from the galley, and then open a faucet, climb down into the starboard side, and look at the pump sitting on top of the long water tank.

Bang the pump with a hammer, and see if that dose not get it buzzing, after sitting a long time.

if not replace the pump for $120 bucks.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

To answer another of your questions, yes, when you fill the freshwater holding tank and then turn on the waterpump switch (most likely somewhere in the galley) it will automatically fill the hot water tank. The hot water tank both fills and empties from the top. This way if you run out of freshwater, it doesn't empty the hotwater tank and accidentally burn out the element. The hot water tank has both a drain valve at the bottom and a releif valve on the top. If you wanted to drain the hot water tank alone using the drain at the bottom, you would need to also open the relief valve at the top to introduce air into the system and allow it to drain properly.

Repeatedly flushes of freshwater will both purge the anitfreeze and should also get rid of a majority of that smell. Make sure to open the hot and cold side of EACH faucet, including both sides of the transom shower in order to properly purge all lines. They do sell some additive to 'freshen' the holding tank. I've heard a little bleach, then flushed out works well too. We don't drink from the freshwater tank, so a good purge is all we need each spring.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via ICQ to PetAC Send a message via AIM to PetAC Send a message via Yahoo to PetAC

Sorry ...I have some questions...
PetAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetAC View Post
Sorry ...I have some questions...

PetAC, welcome aboard!!! No need to raise your hand. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Captain

petAC is spaming all the forums
Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Ensign

I also have a 2002 290 scr, my water heater may be leaking, but the question is where exactly is it located, I believe its somewhere under the steps to the inside cabin.....not sure. if its under the steps, how can I gain access to it?? thx
Fllipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Default Water heater

Should download the owners manual supplement
Attached Thumbnails
1530202447613713368234.jpg   15302025056591967461678.jpg  
dannyrayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #12
Ensign

I’ll check, then it could be a hose that runs underneath steps that goes to galley sink that is leaking

Fllipper is offline   Reply With Quote