Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Hi from a Mile High

Hi All, I want you all to know that I really enjoy the forum. I've been following it for a couple of weeks. I'm a newbie to the forum and a newbie to Maxum boats. While the Admiral and I have owned several boats over the years, I have never been as excited about one as I am now. The boats have all been 20 feet or less and have been primarily water sports boats. The latest was a 98 SeaRay 20 foot open bow. We traded her for a 2007 Maxum 2400 SE and WE ARE EXCITED. They deliver her to the lake March 27th. As with the other boats, we'll slip her at the Lake. Besides, I don't yet have a vehicle to tow above 5000 lbs. Notice, I said Lake, and it's rather small. However, it does have a very nice marina for a couple of hundred boats, restaurant, store, gas, pump-out, potable water and it's open from April 1st thru October 31st. Having said all that, I must say that I do envy you'all on the big water. Anyway, we are so looking forward to the upcoming season - the sunsets, quiet parties, loud parties and all the parties in between. On top of that, the 2400 has a wakeboard tower, so we will get to enjoy the water sports as well. What could be better - it looks like a good summer. I do have some questions, most of which can wait until the boat arrives. But I would like to know if anyone can tell me the approximate power or current drain the fridge takes on DC, or about how long can a typical charged battery support it (without other appliances). Overnight? 2 Days?
Thanks, Willywake

willywake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Admiral

first off...welcome to the zoo....when you get your new boat...your going to want to look thru your owners manuals at the fridge drain...or amperage load....that will determine how long it will last on batt. pwr....meaning if you have a 650amp hr rated batt....it will take it 300 hrs to burn up 2amps of pwr used....so....your going to want to do your math on that one...the best thing to do is replace the house batt. with a larger deep cycle batt....that will be the house batt....most of the time that is batt. #2 on the switch.....start batt. is batt. #1...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the tip. I do have the User Manual Supplement for the 2400 SE, downloaded from Maxum customer care, but it doesn't say much about the fridge except it is AC/DC. Also, I don't think I'll get the appliance manuals with the boat. However, I did figure out the fridge mfr and model by looking at Maxum part numbers and google from there. It is a Thetford - Norcold model DE 0051. Nameplate is .71 Amps on AC and 3 Amps at 12 Vdc. So with the bit of math, using 50% duty cyle and assuming only a 50% depth of discharge, I'll get about 33 hrs of refrigeration per 100 Amp-hours of battery capacity. I do plan to build a data base of all the appliance name plates, once I get the boat. Mfrs, module numbers, size, weight and power etc. If anyone has already done this for a 2400 SE or can tell me mfrs and models for the appliances, it would be appreciated. It's more of a hobby than a necessity, but I would like to be able to look them up on the net in case I don't get the manuals.
Thanks again, W
willywake is offline   Reply With Quote