Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Help with AC on 2400 SCR

Hi guys I have a dumb question. I just bought a 1998 2400 SCR. It has a control for "AC" above the refrigerator and has "AC" switch on the shore power panel. Is this really AC or is it just a cooler. i am wondering because it has a water pickup in the engine compartment. I would think that would be for a cooler not an AC unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Van Aller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Yes, Marine A/C units use raw water and an 120VAC pump. Raw water is taken in from the through hull pump, and pumped through the AC unit and discharged overboard. The seacock needs to be open and power to shore power panel and AC circuit either through shore power or a generator.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Ensign

Shrew, thank you so much for responding. I was hoping you would. I see lots of posts from you on this forum and you know your stuff!!! Do you have an e-mail address you are willing to give me or possbily a phone number I would like to learn some more about this boat I just bought. If not thats no problem. Thanks again for your help I didn't know if anyone would respond!!

Jason
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Ensign

Also, Shrew, do you have to winterize the AC unit?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

Yes, There will be raw water (fresh or salt, depnding on where you boat) sitting in there. At the very least, open the seacock and let the system drain, then drain the raw water strainer. However, I installed one of these on the inbound side of the A/C raw water strainer:

Name:  Flush Kit.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  7.7 KB

This allows me to drain the A/C system, then remove the bypass 'thingy', replace it with a hose connector, then connect a short garden hose to the system. I have a small 1/3 hp pump that I drop into a 5 ga. bucket of Marine/RV antifreeze (Propylene Glycol), and pump the AF through the system. It displaces any water in there. This is done with the seacock closed, so I leave it closed. This prevents me from needing to prime the A/C system in the spring. Though technically, with the bypass, that wouldn't really be a problem either. The same system allows me to dump barnacle buster and water in the bucket and essentially 'descale' the AC system in the spring.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Ensign

Shrew, what exactly is that a pic of? And where would I get one? You said you installed it in-line, between the seacock and the strainer...right? Also, when you pump AF through it, where does it come out?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Ensign

Also, how would I prime the AC if I didn't have one of these installed?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #8

close the seacock, open the cleaning port on the top of the sea strainger, you may need to remove the basket (good time to clean and inspect the basket while you're there...for that matter, might as well clean the strainer glass too.). Stick a hose in there and try to push water up into the pump. You only need to get the pump flooded, plus a bit more. As soon as you stop the water will most likely start to come flowing back. You gotta get the basket back in and the top back on, before too much overflows. The water will probably continue to flow back and fill the portion of hose between the strainer and the seacock. Provided the boat is in the water, open the seacock and turn on the A/C. Once you confirm it is flowing out of the discharge, you are all set.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Ensign

Shrew, can you be more specific on what kind of valve that is a pic of and where I would go to get one.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #10

This is the 3/4, which should match your A/C:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...4198&id=674384
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Ensign

Shrew thanks for the information. Ive been busy trying to find manuals for all the stuff on the boat; AC, Engine, Drive, etc. Any idea where I could find out who the manufacture is for the water heater and head?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #12

The head is most likely Jabsco. Hot water heater....mine is an Atwood. I assume Maxum uses the same in most, though it may depend on the year.