Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Getting ready to take the plunge

Just made an offer on a 2001 3000 SCR subject to survey. Looks like a clean boat with only a few issues. Heard good reviews about this model.

Any suggestions as to what to look for in the inspection? Would also be interested in hearing what upgrades members have done to their 3000s.

eluther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
Ensign

Also curious - what is the top speed for these boats?

Old 12-07-2018, 03:13 AM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard! I have a 01 3000 with 5.0L carbs with bravo 2 outdrives. No genny . It been a great boat since I bought it in 06. I boat in fresh water and really have never had any issues. I have had the carbs rebuilt, replaced both the A/C and refrigerator, plus lights , horn etc etc....stuff that wears out. My point here is that your buying an almost 20 year old boat so things are starting to fail !Make sure they work and work well . If all orginal equipment is still on this boat the price should reflect that , because you , yourselve will have to replace it sooner or later.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Admiral

Welcome Aboard!

As Roger said nothing special to look at for this model just the normal boat things. Rot in transom/stringers, engine condition, functionality of lights/horn/...

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluther3 View Post

Any suggestions as to what to look for in the inspection?
I pay a surveyor to worry about that stuff. Having a general understanding of basic structure, mechanicals, systems, and construction helps but isn't critical. It's like going to the doctor. You don't need an MD, but a basic understanding of physiology and biology helps when the Doctor is explaining things.

As said, structural issues with stringers, bulkheads, tabbing, decks and joints are a big concern. Major electrical issues are big thing for me. Most other things can be negotiated or replaced. That is unless it's many little things.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Admiral

Compression check and make sure both engine can reach the desired WOT RPM's.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I pay a surveyor to worry about that stuff. Having a general understanding of basic structure, mechanicals, systems, and construction helps but isn't critical. It's like going to the doctor. You don't need an MD, but a basic understanding of physiology and biology helps when the Doctor is explaining things.

As said, structural issues with stringers, bulkheads, tabbing, decks and joints are a big concern. Major electrical issues are big thing for me. Most other things can be negotiated or replaced. That is unless it's many little things.
I agree. Bad news is that my normal surveyor apparently retired. Anyone know a good surveyor in Dallas?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #8
Ensign

Well the survey is in and the boat has some issues. One is a pronounced port list that the owner says is typical for this model. His argument is that the kitchen is on the port side as long as the water tanks. Is that the case?

Survey also showed a very high moisture level in the stringers. Can I dry those out?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Well the survey is in and the boat has some issues. One is a pronounced port list that the owner says is typical for this model. His argument is that the kitchen is on the port side as long as the water tanks. Is that the case?

Survey also showed a very high moisture level in the stringers. Can I dry those out?
Does he have a lot of gear stored on the port side? Not aware of this model having a list but Roger can tell you. Moisture meters can give false readings, was there water standing in the bilge? A core sample will tell you if it’s wet or rot exists.

Mike
Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
His argument is that the kitchen is on the port side as long as the water tanks.
I'm not clear on this.

Is the water tank on the same side as the galley?
Where is the holding tank?
How full where each?
Where are the batteries located?
Was there gear loaded?
If so, how much and where?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
Captain

Water tank is on the centerline In the mid bilge, so it wouldn't contribute to a list...Fuel tanks are mounted on either side and could be contributing to. List if they are at different levels.

Galley is on the port, but most of it's weight is offset by the extra fiberglass&structure for the dinette and head (stbd) side.

Does this boat have a genny? Where did they mount the water heater..
Without the genny, water heater was stbd side.

Stringers should be fully encapsulated by the fiberglass. I have one issue with mine in the aft-most cross brace in the engine room. The limber hole got crushed during mfg and allowed bilge water to soak in around the tube.

I agree that a quick core test (drilling) would be the best way to determine if there is truly moisture. Them drying out on their own would be questionable. Of course the source needs to be found, damage assessed and resealed. Most water intrusion I've dealt with needed to have the core exposed and drying took a few weeks to work out all the moisture. Given that meters do vary in the readings, I' have the results verified by a different means to be sure it's not a red herring your chasing.

John
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:30 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

I've never heard of a boat built with a permanent purposeful list. Tabs are used to right a list due to wind, current, passenger load, or hauling cargo but not typically for a builders flaw in design.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRiver View Post
I've never heard of a boat built with a permanent purposeful list. Tabs are used to right a list due to wind, current, passenger load, or hauling cargo but not typically for a builders flaw in design.
My Maxum 2800 had a slight list to Stbd where the water tank and holding tanks were both located.

"purposeful"? no. But it is not that uncommon. My boat has a natural list to port, which coincides with the galley, galley storage. I have a friend with the same exact boat in a model year 4 years newer with the same exact list.

It takes about 800lbs of lead ballast to correct it. (22,000lbs LOA 39' 9"; Beam: 14' 4").
Old 12-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #14
Admiral

Some manufactures used concrete to balance boats.

Mike
Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

Come to think of it my 2700scr list to stbd when my fresh water tank is empty.

Duel fuel tanks located one port and one stbd typical have a cross connect tube that facilitates balance between them.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 AM   #16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRiver View Post
Come to think of it my 2700scr list to stbd when my fresh water tank is empty.

Duel fuel tanks located one port and one stbd typical have a cross connect tube that facilitates balance between them.
From what I have seen the crossover is controlled by valves but I haven’t seen this on many twin I/Os. Also the genny typically only draws from one tank.

Mike
Old 12-16-2018, 04:31 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

My experience with multiple fuel tanks was with multiple diesel engine power plants where yes we could isolate, mix, balance, and pump off any of three fuel tanks. We could also trim the boat with fuel (ballast) while hauling heavy items on deck, pretty cool.