Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Ensign

Default First time buyer advice

First let us introduce ourselves, we are Frans and Loes we live in the Netherlands in Europe
After renting a yacht for a couple of times we are now hooked on boating and are now considering buying one.

In our search for the perfect boat we looked and tested many different boasts but we are now very seriously considering buying a 2002 Maxum 2700 SCR.
As we are first time buyers we would like some buying advice, Since everybody here owns these kind of boats we hope you can give us some expert advice.
First we would like to know a bit more about the engine, the boat is equipped with a Mercruiser 6.2 mpi engine with 270 hours and has a bravo 3 duoprop. Is this a good engine, does it have any weak points and are 270 hours a lot?

The hull is painted with anti fouling, is this a good thing? Do any of the accessories need extra attention, like the ac/heater, electric toilet, electric anchor winch or anything else? We tested another Maxum 2700 and it had a lot of play in the steering, how much play is acceptable?

Any other tips are very welcome.
We are looking forward to your reactions.

Regards Frans and Loes

Frans 2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Captain

ha die frans en loes,

je krijgt vast wel antwoord van een hoop mensen zoals seapuppy etc...als je hulp nodig hebt.....ik vaar al 30 jaar snelle boten.....(ook de grote heb ik onder de kont gehad) als ik je ergens mee van dienst kan zijn kan je me bellen 06-10396957 (woonplaats almere)

groet ed

hai guys here a warm welcome from me and my wife also out of the netherlands......sure you get all the answers you want from seapup or a lot of other people......if there is anything i can help you with let me know......did you find the boat at marktplaats, then i can see what you are talking about...

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Admiral

welcome to the zoo Franz/loes
I used to own the 2700scr in model yr 2003..similar boat ...it had the 6.2mpi engine and b3 drive also...first off that is an awesome combination...however you really need to stay up on the zinc protection and the mercathode system...otherwise the drive corrodes off the back of the boat.....mine had 22" pitched props...I think it really needed 24's but they are expensive to change out..thus I stayed with the 22's...
second...bout the only thing that really needs serious maintenance is staying up on the drive oils and waxing....the boat is very comfortable on week long holidays and will take you anyplace you want to go...
if your serious about this boat...make sure you get a competent surveyor to check the boat out ...270 hrs isn't alot for that old of a boat but it is definitely not something to concern about....just clean and wax it and she will serve you quite well for yrs to come....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the advice, The boat was very dirty and was very "used" the seats were broken and overall the boat didn't give us a good feeling.
But we already looked at another Maxum 2700 this one looked really good but it is 2 years older (2000).
The boat had a 1 year old engine, a 6.2 Horizon with 62 hours on it. We are will hire an expert to check it.
Can everybody tell us something about the play in the steering because this boat had it too and it feels a bit stange.
But hopefully we will become Maxum owners soon.

greetings from Holland,

Frans en Loes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi all,

We have bought the 2000 Maxum 2700 SCR, we had it checked and everything was ok.
So you are going to hear from us more often, hopefully for a few adventures stories and not to much problems.
And for the enthousiasts (including me) a picture.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Glad that you found a nice boat. When my wife and I started our boat shopping the first boat we looked at one in about the same condition as the one you looked at, very dirty and very used - even though it had only about 160 hours on it. Just did not give us a good feeling.

Congratulations to both of you! Let the fun, and money flow, begin!

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Admiral

congrats on your new money pit.....looking fwd to seeing the new toy..I used to have a 2003 2700sr with the same engine....awesome combination....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Captain

hai frans

congratulations with your boat....... did you buy it by valckx watersport t leuken....? maybe we'll meat each other some where, some time

greatz, ed & inge
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Congrats and good luck with the new toy. Enjoy!
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #10

Nice boat, you will love the layout. Regarding the drive corrosion that Seapuppy mentioned with the B3, he wasnt lying (I have twins). I would immediatly install an additional zinc/aluminum/magnesium annode on the prop nut (which your year did not come with) This company makes an aftermarket prop nut adapter that allows the installation of an additional sacreficial annode "egg" on the nut. Be careful though which metal you choose for the type of water you boat in (fresh or salt/brackish) the site will guide you on choice. Here is the link http://www.boatzincs.com/mercruiser-prop.html Note that these prop nut annodes will errode faster than the usual annode so check them often for need of replacement.

Bella Sera
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

If the drives are B3's, I think I read on the Boatzinc's site that, starting in 2001 (I think), Merc began equipping B3's with nothing but aluminum anodes and recommended AL anodes as replacements.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote