Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Dinghy Outboard Storage?

We picked up a small dinghy for our 2800 during the black friday sale, and are looking to pick up a 6hp motor for it. We're mounting the dinghy on weaver davits on the swim step, hinging off the back. I'm struggling a bit to figure out where the heck I can put an outboard motor for it. So far, the best answer I can seem to find is to get one of the rail-mounted motor stands, but that both sticks another 60 lbs hanging as far back as possible on the boat and is super easy to steal. The measurements of the motor indicate that it's just barely too big to fit upright in the engine bay, and 4stroke outboards really don't like being stored on their sides (especially as we bounce around in the sound), so it seems we have to store it upright somewhere.

Any obvious choices I'm missing here, or should I just get used to storing it where it's nice and easy to steal, and get used to using those extra few degrees of trim tab to get on plane?

codingparadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Lt. JG

If you get the rail mount they sell a lock that fits over the motor mount bolts.

Lawnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Since you have an actual transom on the 99 model 2800, I would look at one of these:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...8991&id=699802

I like them because it folds in when not in use and stays somewhat out of the way.

On my 97 2800, the transom only came up as high as the bottom of the transom seat. I build a rail mounted motor mount. I could mount the motor and the dinghy on the stern tipped up. I had to turn my 2HP Honda sideways while mounted. It was possible, since the 2HP had no reverse and could be spun 360 degrees while on the mount. The mount I posted, already mounts the motor sideways, which is why I like for that type of application as well.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Lt. JG

I picked up an inflatable on Black Friday as well. West Maine had a deal for $500. I'm considering going with an electric motor mostly due to cost. That would eliminate the upright storage concern.
blakels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Lieutenant

The electric motors are much more expensive than gas ones, hence why I'm ignoring them. Did you find something that was cheaper than ~1400$ in electric? That would be much preferable.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by codingparadox View Post
The electric motors are much more expensive than gas ones, hence why I'm ignoring them. Did you find something that was cheaper than ~1400$ in electric? That would be much preferable.
Was thinking more along the lines of a Minn-Kota trolling motor, $100-$200 plus battery box/circuit breaker and the battery itself should be less than $500. I will do some more research before purchasing, but those Torqueedos start around $2000
blakels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Yeah that won't move you very fast though. We're definitely looking for 4-6hp of thrust. The torqueedo is the only thing even close, and that's still more like 3-3.5hp, for thousands of dollars. So, I wrote that off.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

An electric trolling motor will be extremely limited in speed, range and ability to recharge. Once it's discharged, it's discharged. Not all anchorages are idyllic and not all days are beautiful. I wouldn't want to have to cover 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile in a 20 kt headwind into chop with an electric trolling motor.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Hello,
I've seen rigs that tilt the motor as the dinghy is lifted into the stow position. Check out this web site:
Bayliner - Sea Wise Davit System

Doug (aka MoonRiver)
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #10
Lieutenant

We have a seawise davit with a bigger dinghy on our Meridian, but this is a 70ish lb tiny dinghy.

Thinking about getting this, though, and just sidestepping the problem, as we do really like how stupidly simple the seawise system is on our big boat:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...8991&id=180614

The biggest thing stopping me is that we already attached the davit mounts on the dinghy facing the wrong way for us to use that system, so we'll need to dissolve the PVC glue and re-mount them if we want to use the leaver system... Maybe if it weren't raining every day...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

Wow, that is pretty cool little device and they are certainly very proud of that technology lol. That's too bad about the glue up and I can say from experience that stowing an outboard motor in the aft engine room is problematic. And mounting on the handrails is not the best chose either.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRiver View Post
And mounting on the handrails is not the best chose either.
A 2hp Honda weighing 35 lbs on a stern rail (which was designed to be used as a backrest for a bench seat), mounted on the T of the stanchion with only 2 feet of vertival stanchion. It was perfectly fine with no movement and no stress cracking around the mounting flanges. We did it for 9 years with no issues.

However, I agree, I wouldn't mount a motor on a bow rail.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

Cool Pic

Would you have a pic how you mounted it not much of a swim platform on a 32 scr
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc60 View Post
Would you have a pic how you mounted it not much of a swim platform on a 32 scr
Whom is the question directed towards?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Sorry it was for you shrew. I have a 2.2 Honda 4 stroke gets heavy lug to boat from truck ? I was thinking of eng room mount ??? but seems bad idea they say , yours has a rear mount wanted to know if you have a pic
Thank you
gmc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #16

This is about as good as I have. I no longer own this boat. This pic is at least 7 years old, could be more. It looks like I just had the back half of the canvas replaced.

In fact it looks like I JUST built the motor mount in this pic. I built it with PT lumber, but waited 1-2 seasons before I painted it. It looks like new wood in that pic.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020113.JPG