Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Cabin and cockpit tables

We just purchased a 2001 2900 scr and both tables need to be replaced. I'm thinking a custom in the cabin, like granite. I have a source, just wondering how thick it should be and will it be to heavy for the pole? I guess I would need the top to have wood underneath to secure the mounting hardware?

Also, looking for a cockpit table that has holes for drop in drink holders, those are hard to find! Does anyone have any experience with the LED drink holders? They are cool looking and I ordered two, just not sure about the wiring, not much explanation on the website. Hopefully we can figure them out.

Thanks in advance!

missoceana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

MissO,

If it were me I'd dismiss the granite idea for the removable tables. First off, being stone, it will need a substantial foundation to prevent it from cracking or breaking. Second off, being stone, it's gonna be friggin heavy, especially with the necessary foundation - so, not much fun to move it around. Third, being stone, you'd have to SECURELY stow that thing - if it comes loose it's going to beat up a lot of stuff.

But, that's just me.

Our cockpit doesn't have holes for drink holders either - just shallow recesses. I suspect that those, too, would cause table top storage issues due to the drink holders protruding well below the table and, if they are not fitted really well, the holders will fall out when stowing the table. However, you might have way more room on your 2900 to stow than we have on our 2400. Regardless, cutting the holes to fit some drop in holders is easy (I did that this past spring) and the drop in's aren't expensive at all.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I too would also NOT do granite, way too heavy, too easy to crack, especially if it's in a common area that you move around. If you really want to do custom, I would recommend something which a rubber edge you can install, is going to save you a lot of headaches! I would check greatlakesskipper.com. Not sure where you live, but we frequent their physical store often (caled Kendor in Wisconsin) and they have lots of good stuff. They also have tables online, good variety, maybe those might work for you.

As for the LED cupholder lights, a friend of ours bought them off ebay. Search LED cupholder for boat, lots of options come up. Go with the battery operated ones, they have lasted on our friends boat all season so far with no issues. Another note if you like the blue is change the courtesy lights or arch lights to blue instead of white. If you know a little about wire and lighting, you can do it yourself as an easy project. We bought these from Autozone and LOVE them! They are very bright though, so if you are looking for more of a mood lighting this might not work for you. You can easily hard wire them in and the good thing is that if one light fails (or you break it light we did on an install) it only has 1 row of 3 lights that goes out, so you still have 9 other lights working until you can replace it. Plus it's much cheaper than finding the right LED bulb somewhere online.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=11363_0_0_

Let me know if this helps!
M & M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the replies! I have nixed the granite option, and am going with a look a like table instead...the dinette table that came with the boat seems ridiculously big so I'm going to opt for a different size too. I cleaned up the cockpit table with a magic eraser and it came out pretty good, just need to replace the dingy cup holders with some stainless steel ones (if those led lights are not what I thought they are).

I love the idea of blue courtesy lights, but read somewhere that red keeps bugs away? Any truth too that? We have been cleaning the boat like crazy, just in time to put it away for the winter....
missoceana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #5

For the cockpit, you could go with something like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10835

If you, or someone you know is a fairly decent woodworker, then you could make your own out of wood with lots of marine varnish. A hole saw drill bit will cut the holes for drink holder inserts. I believe that settee table drops into a convertable berth. You might want to keep the table or keep the same shape. In the future, should you decide to sell, you would want to maintain as much original functionality as possible.

As for courtesy lights....I bought these for the radar arch:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...441&id=1247065

These are pretty slick. They are LED, and the size and screw hole pattern was identical to the OEM from the factory. It is a direct, 2 wire replacement. They work on an internal switch. When you turn the light on, it's white. Toggle the light switch off, then on again, and it's Red. Toggle the switch off and on again and it's blue. Toggle off/on again and the lights are off. My courtesy lights at my feet are on the same circuit, so when the arch lights are in the OFF position, only the courtesty lights at my feet are on in this mode. Turn the swithc off then on again and we're back to white.

Easy to install, versatile, LED and just plain awesome. You should be able to find a replacement LED wedge bulb in blue, white or red as well. I left my courtesy lights at my feet white.

REd will best preserve your night vision. I couldn't say whether red reduces insect attraction, but it's our favorite color at night.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Admiral

Misso............we have a 2001 3000 SCR and I have both the oval and the corian table in my garage, just sitting there taking up space. I would would let these go for a song and dance if you might be interested?

Just let me know and I will spend you current pic's of them.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
johnmartin348

It is not advisable to use granite in cabin. It will be to heavy for the pole.

LED drink holders is very good I have used it and not having any problem..

Dubai Charter
Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Lt. JG

After doing some research here in Illinois and asking our coast guard, it is illegal to have red or green courtesy lights on while the boat is operational, because they are the same color as the navigation lights. Blue is legal, as long as the lights are on the inside of the boat. We use them all the time when driving with no problems as our options with the Autozone lights are VERY bright. We set up 2 new switches in the dash to operate all the lights seperately, one switch for the floor courtesty lights, on switch for the arch lights, and the other switch for our blue speaker lights (yes we got blue LED lights behind our speakers in the arch), so we have the ability to turn on/off the lights whenever we want.

You might want to check in your state to find out if the red lights are legal if you use them while operating. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Also, the blue works great at keeping the bugs away. Much better than the white. I am not sure about the red though....