Old 07-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Brand new boat owner

Hello! My husband and I are brand new to the boating world. We are motorcyclists turn boaters. We just bought a 1997 Maxum 2400. It is so exciting. I could use all the tips!

What is something you wish you know when you got your first boat?

What would you say is the number 1 most important thing when owning a boat and operating?

Any advice is welcome here!

M_Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Commander

Make sure the plug is in prior to launch

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Any thoughts on using fuel stabilizers?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome aboard

New to boating take a safe boating class.

Don’t approach anything faster than you would want to hit it.

Take a day in the middle of the week and find a cove to practice making forward and reverse right and left hand circles to get the feel for how the boat handles.

Are you trailering or keeping it in the water?

I have the same model and year.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Welcome aboard.
If you know somebody with previous experience with boating, invite for a trip and let them drive an explain how things going on with boating. You can take nots so you can remember...
Good luck.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
Lt. JG

We got to drive it a little when we took it out to make sure everything was in working order. We plan to take it out during the week when it is not so busy ti get a feel for getting in and out if our slip. We are not trailoring, itll be kept at our marina in a water slip. They gave us an open spot that doesnt have anyone directly next to us yet just to be safe haha. I learned to ride a motorcycle in 30 minutes. I understand boating is different because you're driving from the back. I get the whole pivoting thing. Just intimidated a bit! Haha
Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Admiral

The big differences with boats are no brakes, wind and current will move the boat side ways at slow speeds. The pivot point is about 1/3 forward from the stern.

Mike
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Hathaway View Post
What is something you wish you know when you got your first boat?
It needed to be 2 feet longer
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
rwc
Lt. Commander

Here is my experience as a recent novice as well:

Practice docking a fair bit before you go out (and have to come back in) with strong wind.

As Mike said, this was the most important for me: "Don’t approach anything faster than you would want to hit it."

If the boat turns over but won't start, check the run switch - my worst newbie "OMG! What is wrong!" moment so far.

Wear a lifejacket - at least until you are comfortable on the boat.

Take your pre-trip preparations slow and one step at a time. It's really embarrassing, and potentially dangerous, when you drive off with your electrical cable or a mooring line dangling off the side of the boat because you were so eager to get out there you forgot a step.

Check your fluids every time until you are comfortable they aren't going anywhere on their own.

Be observant of what other folks in the marina do. I have a really tight slip and a sailboat with an outboard that sticks waaaaaay out next to me, so was really nervous about backing out and turning without hitting it. One day I noticed the fellow across the way walk his boat out to the end of the finger, give it a little shove to turn it, casually hop up on the bow and drive smoothly away. Cheating? Maybe. But I leave the marina with a whole lot less stress now.
rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
Lt. JG

Thankfully they put us in a slip that's got a few open slips on either side so we aren't directly next to anyone for now. My OCD will save us from forgetting to unhook or hook anything I'm sure haha. Also being a mom I havhave already stocked my boat with all things necessary for a day out. We have had such horrible westher since we got the boat we haven't had a chance to even take it out yet but tomorrow we will have the grandparents keep the kids for a few hours so we can go practice getting in and out of the slip and docking at the pump station and all that and become more comfortable with it all. I'm excited to FINALLY get out in it!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
rwc
Lt. Commander

Most importantly, have fun!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Hathaway View Post
Thankfully they put us in a slip that's got a few open slips on either side so we aren't directly next to anyone for now. My OCD will save us from forgetting to unhook or hook anything I'm sure haha. Also being a mom I havhave already stocked my boat with all things necessary for a day out. We have had such horrible westher since we got the boat we haven't had a chance to even take it out yet but tomorrow we will have the grandparents keep the kids for a few hours so we can go practice getting in and out of the slip and docking at the pump station and all that and become more comfortable with it all. I'm excited to FINALLY get out in it!
Just don’t let your OCD and nerves ruin the expierence, fastest way to hate boating.

Mike
Old 07-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #13
Ensign

What BOAT stands for?
dondelfavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
rwc
Lt. Commander

I've had that problem.

Our local waters are a deep fjord, so there are limited spots to anchor. We go out, shut down, and drift with the wind and current for an hour or so, then reposition and drift again. A week or so ago, I turned the key to start up after drifting and nothing happened. Did it again, nothing. Pulled the key out, put it back in, turned, and she started up just fine. But now my nerves are shot every time I shut down to drift.

I'm also a bit OCD and have trouble with ghosts in the machine. I don't think I'm going to hate boating, but I definitely need to learn to rationalize the random stuff that happens.

Let me know if you figure it out M_Hathaway! Otherwise, maybe we can form an OCD boating support group.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Oh my OCD wont ruin anything. Been living with it for a long time, I can manage. I'm just saying I triple check everything lol
Old 07-25-2018, 11:37 PM   #16
Lt. JG

@rwc we are right on the Potomac river and theres plenty of places to go that are only like 5 minutes from our marina, some further. It's not even very deep in most places. I'm sure I'd freak out too haha. I'll be your support group!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #17

If I had one piece of advice, it's that boating has an expensive cost of entry and a steep learning curve. Embrace setbacks as learning experiences. Whatever you experience, you will neither be the first nor the last.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
Ensign

You are wet slipping.
Make sure your
1. bilge pumps and automatic float switches work.
2. Battery charger functions and maintains the batteries (to run the bilge pumps)
3. CO detectors are up to date and functional, replacing with new is inexpensive life insurance.
4. Dock/spring lines are secure when you leave, but set for changing river conditions/tides.
5. Go S L O W
6. Spend time enjoying the boat and learning about all of its features and quirks. My wife is constantly yelling at me to sit down and enjoy instead of constantly looking at or doing something to ours.
7. HAVE FUN!!!
Piratefins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:12 PM   #19
Ensign

I also own a 1997 2400 SCR. Fun, reliable boat considering the age. Access to the motor and to fix things is always challenging. Like any boat there are always little nuances that you need to get used to. Drink holders breaking, water getting into the front anchor line hold, random electrical issues. Great overnight sleeper that can sleep 6. Just highly recommend connecting to shore power. We've made a few 40+ mile trips in heavy seas which, in high-sight, were miserable, but the reliable boat got through them!
daltonskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

Very nice!!! Welcome to the lovely world of boating. Everything I can think of has been said. One last thing for whomever is piloting the boat...breaaaathe. And maybe get them one of those shirts that says "I'm sorry for anything i said while I was docking the boat"

viper12161 is offline   Reply With Quote