Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Boat reviews for a 2008 2900SE from a boater?

Club members; if you own a 2008 or 2009 2900SE or if you are a boater who has a friend that owns one and have been on it. I would be interested to hear your honest opinions. Pro's & Con's from the general lay out of the boat to the overall performance.

It's not a hobbie; It's a lifestyle!!!

R MATTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Admiral

Talking

well...they are very similar to the bayliner 285 in styling...quality is a bit higher up..nice set up but with the fwd vee berth, it takes alot of room away from entertaining below in the salon....

http://www.maxumboats.com/sport_crui...type=1,11,9,23

check out the link and there are all the options to this boat also listed....

I actually test drove this boat in SC...I liked the dash with the ctr mtd display....it handled alot like my 2003- 2700scr..similar engine drive package...the boat planed easily and ran the intercoastal like it was made for it....she was extremely responsive to the throttle and rode the waves nicely....the only complaint I had was there was no window in the batcave....no air movement or no light other than electric...I'd cut a hole and add a portlight if it were mine.
the boat is roomy below...but as I stated the fwd vee berth makes it seem cramped..but if your entertaining kids or another couple...it's a nice feature......
Maxum quality is evident thruout the boat...our test boat had a few minor problems but they are easily fixed....if I remember correctly....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for the input SP, I do have 2 young kids. Basically one of the main reasons we are upsizing from a 27' Chris Craft. Does anyone say how the built in cooler holds ice? As a boater you know how important ice is out on the water. I typically leave the dock on a Friday and do not return until Sunday evening or Monday. Was wondering if anyone experienced any problems and how well Brunswick takes care of warrenty work. SP, having other Maxums and Bayliners have you had any warrenty issues and how were they to deal with? Nice boat by the way, a friend of mine just got the 34 Bayliner with the black sides from a dealer in Michigan. I think for the money Bayliner builds a nice boat. If you don't mind I'm going to Pirate your idea of putting carpet on the steps?! That was one thing I was hoping to get out of being a member of this site. I've been boating for almost 20 years but have only been Cruising for 8yrs. I don't know everything (dont tell my wife) and always like picking up new ideas.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Admiral

R
I've been around boats all my life...navy brat...then designing nuclear subs and surface combat ships...and I can honestly tell you I'm still a bit of a rooky on plastic boats....with that said...that's why I posted anything I do to the boat to give other rookies my ideas...sometimes it's a good idea...sometimes not...but hey..that's what it's all about isn't it??
as for the ice chest...they are ok...I don't think it will last a weekend there...what i'd do is build a coffer dam underneath and around the tub in the engine bay and spray some of that expanding foam ..let set....then I think the ice may last awhile ..but the way it sits now..it will melt in a few hrs...it vents overboard so the water shouldn't collect into the bilge....
warranty work for Maxum's and bays are pretty dependant on the dealer....for me I've had the same guy working on my boats for the past 10 yrs....I've had very few warranty issues that hasn't been taken care of.....find a good mechanic that is at your local shop..one you can communicate well with...then...( I know this sound cheesy) buy him a lunch after he works on your boat...or offer him a soda....or if there is something huge that went wrong....buy them a pizza........let me tell you that goes a long way with those guys and they will take extra care of you and your boat at the time...
working warranty items is a tough one to get thru but you have to play thier game.....I suggest getting the extended warranty on the boat...the one that covers bumper to bumper.....it's a bit expensive but hey...you wanna work on it??..or have someone else do it for free.....just something to think about...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thats an impressive back ground SP. Thanks for the advice on the cooler as well as public relations. lucky enough I have never needed a lot of help mechanically... But I do treat the guys at the gas dock well. I found that they do give a lil extra TLC when they see my boat coming. I was wondering if you seen my post asking about the guest charger and the alternator? If the alternator module works the way I am hoping it will, my summer on the water is going to be carefree. Thanks for your time.

ps was wondering how you get those little quotes at the bottom of your posts?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Admiral

Talking

thanks....it's been a fun ride so far...now I'm working for boeing commercial airplanes...I'm one of the few people that can honestly say I've designed under the sea..on the sea...and over the sea!!..
I did see your post about the charger...I was hoping someone else would answer ...i don't want to be seen as a thread hog or anything...if it were me...I think I'd look at getting a higher output alt. ..that's alot of juice your going to need to put back into the batt's and I'm not sure what pwr rating your alt. is at this point in time...I would think you'd need something more in the line of a 90-110 amp alt. to charge the house batt's back up without running your engine forever....might ask a local electrical guy about it for advice...
second....quotes.....go to settings...my settings....edit signature
then write anything you want and save signature....

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang