Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Anyone ever deal with high stringer moisture levels?

Hi Fellow Maxum Owners,

Glad I came across this owners club. Found it while trying to find information about a few things that came back on a recent Surveyor report.

I've owned my 2000 Maxum 3000 SCR since 2008 and have loved having it.....celebrated many fun times on our local lake. Truth be told though - I'm still a novice. I'm more the 'have the fun' type...and call a mechanic if there is a problem.

However, over the last four years, our usage had gone down considerably due to our need to focus more on our home based business efforts. Anyhow, long story to say that we are now trying to sell our boat.

About six months ago I had misc. items of the boat (toilet, etc.) repaired and the boat pulled (had been in water for 7 straight years) and the boat bottom repainted...and when this was done, the individual doing this said that he noticed some blistering taking place.

We have our fist interested buyer...and upon him getting a survey - and much to my surprise - the surveyor said that there was a high level of moisture in the stringers - at least those where he could test. YIKES...that sounds BAD.

How bad is this...and what are my options for getting it repaired. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

Topracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:51 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome but it sounds like you are getting out of boating.

Moisture in the wood is not a good thing nor is the solution. Did any soft or rot get reported? There is a company that I do not recall the name that drills lots of holes to drain and inject a resin to address this if the wood is not totally rotten. A few folks here have had to address this maybe they'll chime in.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 AM   #3
Captain

I had a lot of blisters on my chines that I just repaired. Ground the blisters out until I had nice, solid glass, then filled in with thickened epoxy and painted with epoxy primer.
speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome but it sounds like you are getting out of boating.

Moisture in the wood is not a good thing nor is the solution. Did any soft or rot get reported? There is a company that I do not recall the name that drills lots of holes to drain and inject a resin to address this if the wood is not totally rotten. A few folks here have had to address this maybe they'll chime in.
No there was no soft or rot reported. Just reportedly high moisture levels and I don't know if this is coming from inside the hall due to a failed bilge pump at one point or from the blisters, per my boat painter.... noticed on the outside.
Topracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Admiral

Well any boat that sits in the water year round for 7 straight years is going to such up water.

Not sure what else to say.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3000, moisture, sale, stringers, surveyor