Old 06-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Default A few questions now that I've taken the boat out a couple times

Good morning all. I purchased a 2001 2300sc over the winter, now at a slip in Westbrook CT and enjoying it! A few questions, now that we've had a chance to use the boat a bit:

1. when idling in gear going forward, I have a difficult time keeping the boat pointed straight. I find myself counter-steering continuously. If I simply center the wheel and let the boat go on its own, I see that it wanders +/- several degrees. It sort of feels like the rear is sliding around. Any ideas? Would small fins mounted to the underside keep the boat pointed better? Or is this typical for the out drive (I think it still has the alpha-one). It also has the 5.7 w/ fual injection (re-power in 2011)

2. volt gauge not working, can this be purchased? I've looked and can't find the exact replacement.

3. I filled the fuel tank up, gauge reads just slightly above half. I was pretty sure I filled it up as much as I could. So, where is the sender unit? Can I pull it and adjust to read full? And how many gallons does this boat hold anyway? And how many gallons per hour would I expect to burn at say 3200 RPMs? (Seems to cruise at about 28 mph according to GPS at around 3200 RPMs).

Thanks!

UnderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Admiral

1. all single engine boats have some wander. Make same corrections and wait as there is a delay in response. Also check to see if there is slop in the drives side to side movement, could be a worn swivel shaft.

2. first verify 12V is at the S terminal on the gauge, if yes then replace. It's over 10 years old so it may be hard to find the exact one, contact faria.

3. sounds like the sendor need to be replaced, no adjustment. It is located in the tank's rear near the gas line pick up to the engine. look in the engine compartment. If tank is full gas will spill wait until it is ran down some.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
1. all single engine boats have some wander. Make same corrections and wait as there is a delay in response. Also check to see if there is slop in the drives side to side movement, could be a worn swivel shaft.

2. first verify 12V is at the S terminal on the gauge, if yes then replace. It's over 10 years old so it may be hard to find the exact one, contact faria.

3. sounds like the sendor need to be replaced, no adjustment. It is located in the tank's rear near the gas line pick up to the engine. look in the engine compartment. If tank is full gas will spill wait until it is ran down some.

Thanks for the fast reply!

1 - the marina I keep the boat at has done the normal maint on the outdrive, but maybe something is worn? I will see how to check. It does run fine once I get on the gas more, only a problem when going very slow. And I've used other power boats, mostly outboards, none had this 'feature'. But could just be me not being used to the boat yet also.

2 - All wiring and gauges are original, and batteries are new, gauge just does not move. I'll see about putting a meter at the gauge side and verify voltage getting to it. Maybe a bad wire?

3 - Fuel gauge does move, and even moves when fuel sloshes around. I was thinking maybe the vent was partially clogged or something as at some point, I could not get any more fuel in. I don't recall any spilling out the vent.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Admiral

2. could be a bad wire, just want to verify however the gauge is probably the issue.

3. this is a common issue when boats get old and 99% it is the sendor.

Mike
Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #5
Commander

The wandering you are feeling is pretty well explained in this article: http://www.iboats.com/review_monthly..._article2.html

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks again all for the comments. That wandering article describes what I believe is the issue. I wonder if anyone has built up the outdrive to add more of a rudder to it? Or added small attached fins (like skeg on my row boat) to the keel. I see from some google searches (now that I know what to search for) that this really is a common issue. Seems there are some partial solutions like 'Smart Tabs SX', etc.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Admiral

fins and tabs are to help get and when on plane and not slow speed wander. For a boat 22' or longer i would go with trim tabs over smart tabs.

Adding anything to the skeg will increase draft and may result in too much stress on lower unit housing.

Mike