Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 98 scr 3000 loose domes on deck

Hi gang. Boating soon. Starting to do spring maitenance. Last fall i noticed a few of the domes on the deck that secure the deck cushons are loose. Im thinking this needs to be addressed as there is a chance that moisture can enter the hull. I cant have that. im thinking they need to be removed & new ones re installed. Any advice would be appreciated on how to remove, what products should i use to re install? Thanks again
Kevin

timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Just wondering if someone can chime in. It would appear that other domes on the boat are secured with rivits & a beige sealant. Is this the case here? Also found that domes I buy are a bit different in shape & have a flange where the dome meets its surface its secured to . These also have a small screw in the middle. Im faced with the decision to remove & replace with a different screw style or maybe put 5200 around the base of the dome? Any advice guys would be awesome
Thanks
Timer

Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
Admiral

Timer....when I first read this I thought to myself "what the hell is he talking about? What the heck are domes?" Now I get it , it is the snaps that are screwed into the boat. Am I right ?

www.sailrite.com is a website that has all sorts of domes (snaps) that you can compare to match yours. Something along the line of 5200 will work great when you put them back in.

Now I would imagine the screw part has come loose in it's hole. I would then fill in the hole with an epoxy, then re-drill, then attach your snap with some 5200.Problem fixed.

I hope I have helped you here.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #4

They shoudl be screwed in and the the screwcaps caulked. You might need to cut away some caulk to get to the phillips head. You can find SS replacements at any chandlery. Look at West Marine, Defender or Great Lakes Skipper. I would avoid a home goods store as you want to make sure your'e using SS.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Admiral

I agree with Roger and shrew.

FYI: In the future if you don't know the proper term for an item posting a picture will sure help.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Thank you all. Snaps, hmmmm I an see the confusion. Sorry! You all made good points, especially the one about S.S. . I was going to get some from an upholstery shop. Im thinking they would be chrome plated brass. Definitely not what I want.
Thanks again guys
Timer
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I did some digging around removing the sealant from the end of a snap. Mine are riveted. im not sure I have much of a problem anyway as only a few snaps have a bit of movement. None can be rotated. If I get anxious & drill out rivits im thinking things can get a lot worse as where will the other end of the rivit go. Also if the manufacture applied another layer of glass after the rivits were installed then the other end of the rivet is trapped & in the way for a screw which would secure the new snap. Im thinking either apply a small(very small) bead of 5200 around the base of the snap & or drill a 1/8 hole in the side of the snap. Fill the inside cavity with 5200. your thoughts?
Thanks guys
Timer