Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Cruisers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Question '97 2800 SCR - Lower Leg Gear Lube leak?

I purchased a '97 2800 SCR in June and so far, we've thoroughly enjoyed our time on it. This past weekend while we were out in the gulf islands, I started her up at one point and had an alarm go off...(Thank god the alarm works!). I discovered that the lower leg lube reservoir was virtually empty! There is also a bit of oil in the bilge water, so I'm assuming/hoping the leak is inside. I topped it up and we continued our adventure down to Roche Harbour and back home, but the reservoir was down about 1/4 again.

The boat was surveyed prior to purchase and this issue didn't presented itself at all. Can anyone tell me what to look for...or what would cause this to leak?

I also have a fairly stiff throttle linkage, so there may be a mechanic's visit in the near future, but I'd like to attempt a resolution to either of these issues myself first. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Benjamin62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Ben
Welcome to the zoo..If you aren't seeing oil in the water outside the boat..the obviously it's coming from the reservoir bottle...check the hoses all the way to the transom assy.....it may have blown off or something....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Commander

Just had the exact same issue on mine. Spent an hour trying to contort into the correct position to get eyes on where that hose connects to the transom (using mirrors too). In the end I could find nothing at all wrong with reservoir, the hose or the thru transom fitting. Since the boat needed a gimble and I already had all the parts, I yanked the leg and low and behold, out comes about a quart of the gear lube. Seems there is no place for it to go but inside when the front driveshaft seal blows. Outdrive gasket and bellows keeps it all in and will will just flow into the bilge on you.

So as SP stated, check the reservior and hose but don't rule out driveshaft seal if you don't find an issue.

Sorry that this is my first post, just though I could help since i just went through this 4 weeks ago
Will work on an intro soon and do a proper introduction
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Admiral

Mcoffy

thanks for the insight......excellent report out and thanks....aaaaand...welcome to the zoo...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
Ensign

Great feed back from both of you...thanks guys! MCOFFEE - Great post! I'll follow your advice and check the front drive shaft seals if nothing turns up between the reservoir and the transom. I'm pretty new to the whole 'Forum' thing, but I'm already an appreciative believer and hope I'm able to pass on some helpful or usefull information to someone along the way.

Thanks again! Now, once I've figured out the gear lube issue, I'll go to work on the stiff throttle linkage!

Cheers!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
Ensign

Oh...Sorry for the Miss-Spelled name MCOFFEY! Saw the name but my brain went directly to 'COFFEE'!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

was the oil in the bilge green? if not look for oil spots in the water when you are running the boat at low speeds or at idle, if you see them it could be a seal inside the outdrive or maybe a bad gasket in between the transom mount and your drive....good luck
rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Admiral

I'll add my 2 cents here.......if it is just a hose lose the fluid is still orginal color green.............if the outdrive seals are shot by checking the fluid color from the bottom fill screw on the outdrive and seeing what color that is should determine one thing or another. Seals shot......color of fluid is not the dark green and becoming milky brown........hose lose (above the water line) fluid stil dark green.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I think I may have found the culprit. After tracing the lines for the third time...(this time shortly after running the motor)...I discovered one of the lower fittings had a very small drip. I tightened the fitting and so far, there seems to be no more leakage. Let's hope that was the problem! If so, I got lucky this time!!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Ensign

Hello again all! I thought an update might be in order...especially for anyone who encounters a similar problem regarding the "lower leg oil leak" I was concerned about earlier this summer:
Returning from a day trip on the September long weekend, my boat struck something submerged while cruising at 24 knots! Needless to say, my heart sank about as quickly as the boat dropped off plane and bogged in the water! I managed to limp back to the marina and was busy the next day, making arrangements for what I thought was going to be a huge insurance claim!
5 days later, after being hauled out at "Ladysmith Marine Services" it was determined that I had, in fact; not hit a log, but a huge ball of sea grass! No damage was done to the leg, but in an ironic twist, since the leg was being thoroughly checked over...the mechanic discovered that the "Pivot Pin" was heavily corroded, which had caused the seal to wear...which as you can all guess...was causing not only the leg oil to leak, but also an actual leak which, if left uncaught could have caused some serious problems!
So...after doing a complete inspection of the leg and all other components, Doug installed the 're-chromed' pivot pin (which by the way was half the price of a stainless steel replacement!), a complete Gimbal ring & seal replacement, and since we were at it; a new starter and I was back on the water!
The Bilge is now dry!! No more leg oil leak, no more bilge water and to top it all off; the boat runs even better than before! It may be the end of our boating season, but I can rest easy now, knowing if I leave my boat unattended to more than three or four days, I won't return to find it under water!!
Thanks to those of you who offered input and I stongly suggest to anyone with a Maxum older than 2008; to have the Pivot Pin (steering pin) checked if you think you have any type of leak in or around the leg!
Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to be sure to pass this on!
Cheers, everyone and Happy Thanksgiving all!