Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2800SCR Bimini Top Measurements

We have been an avid visitor to this site, and it has helped us with a few questions that we have had in the past, so I am hoping someone might be able to help us with our current issue we are having.

We have a 2000 2800SCR, and this year we purchased all new eisenglass from a factory Maxum dealer, and the snaps were not installed because each boat is different. After leaving the glass to heat up in the sun this weekend and attempting to start with the 2 front side pieces, we realized that the front part of our bimini top is raised higher than the rest of the top, and we can not install the snaps until we lower the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the pole measurements for the bimini top? We think we might need to adjust the poles, but are not sure what the "standard" measurements are and where to start. We have friends who have a 98 2800SCR, and their set up is different than ours, which was no help. Our old eisenglass was very stretched out, and with the new eisenglass they also sent us a new bimini top cover (which zips to the eisenglass) so basically we are starting from scratch, and we don't want to screw this up.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Mike and Michele

M & M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

Hi M & M. Welcome to the site. Since you already have the snaps on the windshield from the previous curtains, I'd take all the tension off of the bimini by loosening all the connections on the frame. Then I would connect the eisinglass on the windshield. Then connect the eisinglass to the bimini and tighten the fame back up again. Tightening will require some tuning. That is how I reinstall mine every spring.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Admiral

welcome to the zoo M&M....shrew just splained the process...so nuthing for me to add.....good luck and keep us posted..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Thanks shrew! We unfortunately don't have the front eisenglass anymore. This winter we had a local boat shop sew in some new eisenglass into the existing front frame for a few hundred bucks (and we even supplied the eisenglass!), and they did a horrible job and the eisenglass no longer fit, hence the reason we decided to buy all new eisenglass for this season. Would it be easier to start with the front snaps first after loosening all of the poles?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Admiral

Again welcome..........I have a 2001 3000 SCR just went through the same thing . All new enclosures plus a new bimini. I started from the bimini with the snaps then the front enclosure next then did the sides and the back last. Alot of patience went along way with this process.

Your problem which it sounds like the frame has been adjusted differently, so everything else will not fit. I hate to say this but I would get the standard front enclosure that snaps from the windshield first, before you go any further, get that then zippers to the bimini to get things all standard again. There you can see how much adjustment you need to do with your frame. Start there and everything should fit.

Try letastopshop.com. and talk to Leta about your problem if there is not a canvas place around your area that you trust. ( I good canvas person could be worth a million here , if you could find one!). She is in the state of Washington(don't know where you are) and she does very good work. There are a couple of places of ebay but you will pay more for the same thing cause she is probably makes them for these people.

The front enclosures should be around $300. without snaps. She might suggest a new frame but talk to her and see what she says.

Good Luck to you.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Hi Roger, thanks for the advice. I think I may have misspoke, we do have all the pieces with the new eisenglass that we ordered (including a new bimini top and all new glass pieces) and we already installed the snaps on the bimini with no problem, but there are no snaps on the eisenglass yet. It makes sense to do the snaps in the front middle panel first (why we didn't think of that I don't know) but we thought that maybe the old pole setup would work for this one since it's still factory made glass. We will try to loosen all the connections to the poles this weekend, and see if we can make it work from there.

I am located in northern Illinois, and there are a few good boat shops around here, and we checked with them on what they would charge to do the snaps for us, and let's just say we would rather keep that money to spend on gas this year. We knew this project would take some time, but with our boating season here in the midwest being VERY short, I thought there might be more of a "quick fix" to the poles and getting this all set up.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions, I will keep you all posted after we attempt this again during the week, and see if we are still having "issues".