Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Thanks for yet another great suggestion, mcoffey. you wouldn't be Mike Coffey originally from Miami, FL would you?
Sorry but no. I do have a cousin near Denver named Michael Coffey though
AFAIK he never lived in Miami though.
My name is Murl and lived here in VA my whole life.

Good luck on the PEX work!

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Ensign

Thanks Murl.

Dreamliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
Lt. Commander

Hey guys, thanks for all the great advice. I had a situation on the weekend. I left my boat moored on its buoy with the battery switch in the 1 position. I usually turn it off overnight. This time I forgot and I also left the fridge running. About 24 hrs later, the #1 battery was virtually drained and would not start the boat. Curiously #2 would not either (I rarely use #2 and I can not figure out why it is drained). Luckily she started in the emergency Both position just as you have described. I went to the dock and plugged in to shorepower to charge up. I recall reading something about the batteries not charging in the Both position so I turned the switch to Off. Several hours later, #2 was charged but #1 was still dead! I have this sinking feeling that my alternator might only be charging #1 and my on board charger might only be charging #2. Any advice? PS I am pretty sure that my #1 Battery is brand new.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #24
Lieutenant

First time uploading an attachment to this forum off a PC.

This is what I put in our 2400 SC3 (cuddy). Mercathode kept killing the single battery. I connected the Mercathode and CO detector directly to the #2 (house) battery. Bilge pump connected directly to #1 (starting) battery. No charging isolator or shorepower charger.

Store in Off position. Start on #1. After a few minutes (to charge up #1), flip to Both. This give #2 some kind of charge so I don't overload the alternator nor screw up the engine's computer/electronics. After a few minutes, flip to #2 to show it some love while on way to first stop. Start on #2 to make sure it still holds a good charge, after a few minutes, flip back to #1.

If you completely drained a wet cell battery, I would consider changing it. They really don't like that. It's cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
battery switch.JPG  

AlwaysSober is offline   Reply With Quote